How long does the personal pace tranny last

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by joed, Aug 2, 2007.

1. joed

joed LawnSite Bronze Member

Just bought the new Toro PT21 mower a few weeks ago. It's the cross between high end homeowner and commercial 21" toro proline. I like the unit a lot and it is an unbelievable mulcher, better than the prolines.

A local dealer (not the one I bought the unit from) claims that the personal pace tranny on this unit only lasts 25% of the time that the tranny on the commercial units cost. He says Toro told him this in a spring sales meeting. This has me worried since the price difference between the pt21 and a proline is $300 ($965 to $1265). Replacing a personal pace tranny on these things is $300. If the commercial unit lasts 1000 hours, I had have to replace the personal pace tranny 4 times (25% of 1000 hrs) over the life of the unit. That's the cost of a new commercial mower.

Should I hold on to this unit or trade it in on a full commericial unit? Any advice?

Thanks.

2. ZachThurston

ZachThurston LawnSite Member

I've got a Toro PP that I've used on my lawn for 6 years, the tranny makes a nasty grinding sound when you push on it and its stuck on a pole or something, but other than that its fine. The guy at my local mower store said they are really crappy as well. Does Toro warranty that part?

3. HS Football Rules

HS Football Rules LawnSite Member

How many hours per week do you put on it? It was built for a specific application,
    but nobody seems to know what that is!:hammerhead:

If you count on it as a front line mower, check to see if you can
    get a decent trade in for it, otherwise, be gentle with it and re-evaluate next year

4. joed

joed LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for the replies.

HS Football Rules,

I put about 10 hrs/week on the unit. So by season's end, I likely have about 150 hrs on it. If I trade it in now, I know I'm going to take a big hit but if I keep it, I'll take a big hit when I have to repair the tranny. I don't understand Toro. They advertised this mower in their commercial brochure. I know it's not supposed to last as long as the prolines but 25% is ridiculous. It should have at least 60% or so of the life of the prolines. Toro can sometimes be a very confusing company to deal with.

5. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

I've been running a pp for 3 years now on 4 lawns, and the tranny is acting funny. Instead of a positrac it is acting more like a limited slip. It seems to be sending more and more power to the wheel that has no traction. it still works fine on flat ground, but on slopes I am having to expend more and more push to get it to move. my next unit will be a commercial unit off ebay, around 1100 or so. I paid 600 for the pp.

6. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

Why would you think it should last longer than that? Look at the Proline and compare it to your unit. The engine and everything else is made MUCH better.

It is true the PP tranny wont last very long, it is not a commercial unit, it wasnt made to be used commercially.

7. Tagg

Tagg LawnSite Member

We have a Honda that the model # is shown in my signature below. The unit is used for 8000 sq. ft. of flat grass area around a pool area once a week only. The unit is only 1 1/2 years old and has had the tranny replaced at the end of last season and is acting up again and the season is not over yet. It locks up when you try to pull unit backwards with tranny not engaged or even with mower off. Good thing the Honda came with a 2 year warranty, an added on 1 year warranty for unit registration and we purchased a 1 year extended full coverage warranty making it 4 years of full coverage on unit. It appears that our older Snapper with the disk drive system is holding up much better and we thought it was going to be our backup mower. When we have to purchase another unit I believe it will be Snapper.

8. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

Do NOT change the gears when the unit is going. You need to let off the clutch and then select another speed. The reason it is hard to pull back is the dirt in the seals on the shaft. If you tip it over and spray some WD-40 on the shaft where it heads out to the wheel it will help after a while.

9. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

I bought a new PP with the BBC earlier this year that I used on about 3 small accounts per week, far less then the 10 hours of use per week you mentioned you will be using yours for. The other properties I used the Z and 36'' wb on. These were the only jobs I needed the 21'' for. About 3 weeks into the mowing season, the tranny just up and quit in the middle of the yard. Tried everything I could think of to see what the problem was. Bottom line was it just couldnt hold up. I returned it and bought a Proline commercial Toro wb
    21'' 6hp, kaw, bbc from my dealer. Haven't had any problems since and its used about 20 hrs a week.

10. IA_James

IA_James LawnSite Silver Member
    from Iowa

As I had it explained to me, there is a different tranny between the Home Cheapo models, and the more expensive ones. Then ones with the aluminum deck get a better transmission than the cheapos, and it's not nearly so prone to failure. This is what my Toro dealer told me anyway.