How long does your 2-stroke equipment last?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by harrydog, Sep 24, 2004.

1. harrydog

harrydog LawnSite Member
    from ohio

I tried a search on this but couldn't find exactly what I wanted.
    I'm wondering how long a good quality backpack blower (Redmax, Stihl, Echo) can be expected to last. Does anyone keep track of the approximate hours they have on their equipment? The EPA rating on these engines is 300 hours. It wouldn't be too difficult for some people to reach that within two years or three years. I have to believe these engines will go much longer than 300 hours if cared for.
    Also, when it does come time to replace these blowers, does anyone ever have them rebuilt? I notice that Redmax sells engine parts, including short blocks. Is it cost effective to rebuild one of these?
  2. cst51

cst51 LawnSite Member

Usually two full years.
  3. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

My 2 cycle equipment will last for three years usually. I buy mostly shihl weedeaters and blowers. I usually buy cheap Echo edgers, and they are usually the first to wear out. I always buy a few new weedeaters every year and keep old stuff around for misc parts. My equipment gets banged around alot by employees, but as far as engines go, usually many of the other parts seem to wear out first.

I would think that if you were going to buy a new shortblock for a blower, that it wouldnt cost much more to just buy a whole new unit.
  4. Andyinchville2

Andyinchville2 LawnSite Member

I've been using my shindaiwas for years now with no end in sight (hopefully)...We mow about 14 quarter to 1/3 acre yards a day 6 days a week per truck.
  5. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Our Echo BP were used about 3 hours continiuously everyday so that's a school year of about 250 days times 5 days a week so not including the summer about 1300 hrs a year maybe 1400 with the summer and ours lasted about 3 years before the scrap pile. Ignition coils went out usually at 2 year mark.
  6. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

my redmax equipment has gone 6 years now, and still running like clockwork.

my echo have gone 2 or 3 years, but in its defense, i switched to the 210 model. i like the feel of it, and if i have any major problems, it only costs 200 for a brand new one.

my lawnboys won't die. 6 years and counting on my original machines ,that get used everyday.
    CamLand likes this.
  7. barnard

barnard LawnSite Senior Member

The EPA rating doesn't indicate lifespan of equipment. It indictes the time period it can be expected to meet emission standards.
  8. CamLand

CamLand LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm running equipment that is 3-4 years and still going...

Shindaiwa trimmers both 3 years
    Redmax blowers 4 years
  9. jbell113

jbell113 LawnSite Senior Member

I have been using a weed eater brand weed eater for 7 years now. My wife bought it for me at walmart and it had on the side of the box COMMERCIAL GRADE. I have been cutting mostly neighbors yards for the last six years and decided to go legit in this business last year. Ive been trying to kill that green monster in hopes of buying a new high quality weed eater but it wont seem to die. I had another LCO tell me a couple of weeks ago that back when I bought it shindaiwa was making the engines for that particular model but I dont know how true it was. I know for a fact that the life of all your equipment lies in the air cleaner and if you service it regularly it should last longer than 2-3 years.
  10. Mico Landscaping design

Mico Landscaping design LawnSite Member

most of them last us at least 2 years if not 3 but we always buy new ones cuz we use them 6 days a week at least 4 hours a day and we do 25 1/2 acre to 1 acre so they do good ... blowers last the same all depends on how much they are used and abusesd... we run opti in all of our bloweres and whips