1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How long does your accountant take to prepare your taxes?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Gilla Gorilla, Mar 9, 2005.

1. Gilla Gorilla

Gilla Gorilla LawnSite Senior Member

My wife and I went to my accountants office on Feb. 2nd to talk to her and go over all of my business tax info and personal also. There was only three small things that we needed to get them and she said that we were only the second people to talk to here in the first two days in February so they should be able to get started on them once we got the missing info. I faxed the three pieces of missing info to her office on February 6th. Heard nothing through the end of the month so I called on March 1st just to make sure that we did not fall through the cracks and the receptionist said that they were half way through with them and that the business stuff was taking some time.

So my wife and I were just guessing that the bill to prepare our taxes and the business taxes around $500 to $700 originally but now since its well over a month I beginning to wonder how much I'm going to OWE her for doing all of this.

How long does everyone elses accountants and cpa's take usually to get your taxes prepared? This was my first year in business last year and first time that we have had someone else do our taxes, usually we would have had our return in our checking account by now.

BOTURF LawnSite Senior Member

If you had all your busines stuff in order for them i say not more than 3 or 4 days max sounds kinds fishy to me like she dont have a clue tookmine in tonight and will be done by no later than monday next week
  3. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

sounds like you are a sole prop with a small business... if that is the case, you really should seek out an independent CPA. Granted as an accountant myself, i know how to set up what is needed, my taxes usually take my CPA less than an hour or so.
  4. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

She probably put yours on the back burner for awhile.
    Ours took exactly one month, dropped all paperwork off on February 7th, and the receptionist called on March 7th and said they were done. We weren't in any rush though.
  5. Gilla Gorilla

Gilla Gorilla LawnSite Senior Member

Mac you are correct, I'm a sole prop. She said that she has never seen anyone come in with all of there info correct, or mostly correct the first time and how organized that it was. My wife is REALLLLLy anal when it comes to this stuff and neither of us like to mess around when it comes to uncle sam and his money. LOL

The only thing that worries us size of the bill that we might be getting from them and that she said that my wife will end up oweing some money from just looking through what we gave her originally. She said she did not know how much she would end up owing till it was all prepared. I guess I am just getting worried about it taking over a month. But the good news is that when we went in back in Feb she said that she wants me to come out in the spring and take a look at redoing a flower bed and planting some stuff in her front yard so I guess I can make some of that money back in the end but she will just get it again the next time she does our taxes.
  6. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, they actually aren't taking a month to figure them, there's just probably other people and businesses that need immediate attention and they probably put off the ones that are ready to figure till the end. Mine are the same way. Everything is there and in the computer already, but I'm sure it will be at least 2 weeks before they call me to go in and sign off on them.
  7. snap12.5

snap12.5 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

MacLawn- why an independent CPA??? and what other choices are there? what are the benefits? Thanks
  8. snap12.5

snap12.5 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

Mac - id be interested in the mower only if not so far away.
  9. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

well it sounds as though Gilla is with a large accounting firm. Thats great for large corps, but as you and i are not we are not best served there. There are national acct firms such as Deloite, KPMG, etc that specialize in huge corpotations. There are regional acct firms that specialize in regional corporations and large small businesses. Then there are local acct companies with a few partners. If you get in there, thats great but it will be more expensive simply do to their business structure. Lastly, there are the local, independent CPAs. That is my choice as i have found one that is competent and knowledgable. I personally like calling him up and him knowing me. Not sure you will get that elsewhere.

And please do not use HR Block or the like. They have no clue. Did you know that to obtain franchise of theirs, you dont even have to have an accting background? kinda scarry if you have a complex situation. Make sure to get a CPA as they must keep current to retain their CPA designation.
  10. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

My CPA (QB certified) sends me a questionnaire (about 4 pages) to fill out every year that covers things like 401K, Purchases etc. I fill that out (a lot of it is already filled out by their computer from last years info) and send a copy of Quickbooks and my wifes w-2. Can't get much neater then that. She takes about a month but she only charges $120 to do our taxes.