How long does your PTO Clutch last

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by mcdc6, Sep 26, 2011.

Tags:
  1. mcdc6

mcdc6 LawnSite Member

I am always reading how people are replacing their pto clutches on their mowers. Had a buddy do his at 290 hours. See people getting 600 - 1000 hours having to replace. I run 2 Hustler super z 72", one has 2570 hours original clutch. The other has 2830 on it and had to just replace. My stander 36 has 1800 hours with the original clutch. Just taking a survey almost. Or what I am doing right.

2. rreyn1812

rreyn1812 LawnSite Senior Member

Just replaced mine at approx. 550 hrs.

3. RickyDL77

RickyDL77 LawnSite Senior Member

we go through roughly 15-20 clutches a year with arround 90 Wright Standers. I credit most of them to improper engagement, starting the PTO at full throttle instead of half throttle. The rest are usually due to an oil leak spreading oil to the PTO at some point in it's life.

4. Clifton_Lawn_Management

Clifton_Lawn_Management LawnSite Member

I had to replace mine at 250 hours of my use with a bit over 500 hours on the machinne.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. dutch1

dutch1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Jayhawk

I would second what Ricky said about engagement--doing so at 1/2 throttle or less. I would suggest the same with disengagement--idle down first.

6. mcdc6

mcdc6 LawnSite Member

Wow. I always engage at full throttle, kinda have too with a 72" deck. But over 2,000 hours on all three machines. Thanks for the input tho.

7. JDiepstra

JDiepstra LawnSite Bronze Member

8. Meiners

Meiners LawnSite Member

The one on my hustler lasted about a week. The bolt wasn't tightened down at the factory and it flew rite off. It was replaced under warranty and haven't had any trouble since. When I was at the dealer the mechanic testing the clutch throttled down when he engaged it and I asked do you do that all the time when you turn the blades on and he said yes and when you turn them off too. It makes since if you think about it. So that is what I do now and almost 2000 hours. Just demoed a new Lazer and its printed rite next to the pto,engage at half throttle.

9. blk90s13

blk90s13 LawnSite Bronze Member

Yea even though it says right on the panel engage at half throttle, seems to bug down a lot if u engage at half throttle right ?

10. integrityman

integrityman LawnSite Bronze Member

Just replaced my clutch on a Tor diesel 60" Z. Just over 500 hours.
    Expensive as hell too. Amazing how ya research stuff AFTER it goes bad. ......& read that engaging/ disengaging at 1/2 throttle is the right way to start up your blades. I maintain the best I can, grease all the zirks, change oil, hydro fluids, keep filters clean and so forth.