how long for dahlias to germinate and grow

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by grass disaster, May 23, 2006.

1. grass disaster

grass disaster LawnSite Silver Member

i planted some dahlias by my side walk about 2 weeks ago and i have little or no growth out of them.

some of the other flowers are 5 in tall already

how long does it take for dahlias to grow. i planted them form a bulb

2. Kate Butler

Kate Butler LawnSite Senior Member

Most folks plant their dahlias indoors in pots to get 'em to sprout and begin to grow while the outdoor weather is still too cold for them. I don't know what your average frost-free date is, but if it hasn't happened yet, you planted 'em too early.

They are VERY heat sensitive and require warm (relatively) ground to begin their growth. Did you soak them before planting? Ususally they are so dessicated from winter storage that soaking for a few hours (to re-hydrate them) in warm water is a good idea.

3. grass disaster

yup i water them about every 2 days and they get plenty of heat in the corner of my house.

4. grass disaster

they still arn't growing and i'm getting mad :(

any ideas

do these things have to be in the ground over the winter or something.

i dug up a bulb and they seem to be alive, they are solid and moist and not rotting.

anyone have any ideas as to why they don't want to grow?

5. grass disaster

oh hi...........

not to many "flower guys" on lawn site i guess

i thought these things were easy to grow?????

6. jameson

jameson LawnSite Fanatic
    from PNW

I am not a expert on Dahlias, though I have planted them in perennial gardens for years for their late summer/fall color.

Usually they need around 3 - 5 weeks to see growth. If the tuber is kept moist, not to wet or dry (dry side is better), planted at the correct depth (around 6") and there is no tuber rot or other fungal infection...they pretty much take care of themselves.

Re-check some of those tubers, there should be some signs of life on them by this point, its been over a month.

7. Kate Butler

Kate Butler LawnSite Senior Member

I agree: there should be white, filamentous roots by this time even if there is not yet any top growth.