how long for new employee to "catch on?"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Jun 14, 2004.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

well, my new guy is actually showing signs of improvement. he's using the 36" on a regular basis, he leaves uncut areas when he turns, but all in all much improved. i do however have alot of concern about his physical condition, and his seemingly lack of enthusiasm. this is his 2nd week. he's improving, but this is what i need. myself and chico bang out $28-$32 cuts in less than 20 min gate to gate. if i have 3 guys i need 12-15 min tops on these same lawns. how long is realistic to demand this type of production , and if i can't have it, let him go?

2. Rob T

Rob T LawnSite Member

Question is... How long till he starts thinking "Why am I workin' for the man?" and how long till he tells you he's starting his own biz?

BTW, what happened to the old worker? Did I miss that thread?

3. bobbygedd

from NJ

still got the old worker. i needed another one. he aint gonna start his own. no drivers license........ever again

4. TRex

TRex LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW ,TX

If he is missing spots because he is trying to go to fast to knock the lawns out then that means he is on your side. If this is the case give him more time and allow him to slow down to do it right until he gets the movements down and can speed up without missing spots.

If he is missing spots and going slow and does not seem to care that he missed them even though he was going slow while still learning. In this case drop him like one of the customers you tell us about so much.

5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

BG, we're not talking nuclear physics or brain surgery here. 10 days "behind the wheel" is ample time to show you if he's got it or not. If not, cut him loose now...

6. guys i hired were makeing divots wit the ztr's scuffing sidewalks up ..which was better then holes in the lawn ..after about 3 days they started getting better ...BY 10 they were doing pretty good...the walkbehind's were less of a problem we only use walks for back lawns we cant get the big toro's in.

Anybody cant mow decent with a 21 inch is retarted .

7. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

anyone who can't mow right with a 21" is wasting resources and should be put down like a rabid dog.

I only have one part time employee who is well versed and can almost keep up with me (sometimes faster) so I can't complain, but when I was foreman elsewhere we gave a progress report after day 1, day 3 and day 5. If the day 5 report was like the day 1 report they got their check and an invite to look elsewhere. If they made it past day 5 the same thing at day 10. If you can't handle the equipment you are assigned after 10 day then bye.

We started them on edge and blow, then line trim, never on a mower until we decided they would be kept. Make them learn the hard stuff and see if they can hack that. The best guy should be on the mower cause he can always jump off and catch you up. the newbie sure can't.

8. LWNMWR1

LWNMWR1 LawnSite Member

i'd say you have a winner...no liscense and all. i bet he is either high or hung over everyday all day.( hope he ain't family)

9. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

If he's working with the 36'' sounds like he has improved, give him another week or so then tighten the noose, if he does'nt get the picture let him go.

10. bobbygedd

from NJ

he's not family. i did however tell him that tommorow is my day off. i'm going out on the boat. they are both to come to my house, trim bushes and edge/mulch beds. then, the new guy, under supervision of the other guy is to practice mowing, and wacking on my property. i told him i need him to really produce by next wednesday. i'll see what happens