How long for seed to establish?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by EliteImpressions, Jun 1, 2007.

1. EliteImpressions

EliteImpressions LawnSite Member
    from Jersey

I had reseeded my lawn last fall with a blend of 90TTTF / 10 KBG. I seeded at about 10lbs per k. My goal was to convert my lawn from KBG to TTTF so that it was more drought resistant and traffic resistant. The grass came in great with help from pros on this site, but a lot of the grass looks like its in the beggining stages of growing. Some areas have only grown to about 2" and the dont have any leaves (not the right term). Basically it is a single thin blade of grass sticking out of the lawn. I was expecting the wider blades of the TTTF compared to the KBG. Granted, the areas with this problem are extremely thick but I thought everything would be fully established by now. The lawn has been fertilzed twice so far with a third app comming up shortly. Is there anything Im doing wrong? Its late so I cant take any pics but can post some within the next day or so if that helps.
  2. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Is it getting any water? Been cool and really dry here in CT, so grass just isn't really popping. Just recently warmed up. We have also had limited precipitation, plus very low humidity levels which is causing even irrigated lawns to dry out.
  3. LawnSolutionsCP

LawnSolutionsCP Sponsor

If you seeded your lawn last fall, it should be thick and full?

Did you put down a starter fertilizer last fall and fertilizer again this spring?

Did you water it last fall even after it initially came in. It needs to be pampered for the first 10-12 months. You must water it during the 1st summer to make sure the heat and lack of rain doesn't kill it off.

It takes about 1 year before TTTF become low maintenance. Once it is thick and full, it is very drought and weed resistant.

Hope this helps.
  4. EliteImpressions

from Jersey

Yes, it was watered atleast once a day for about a month til it germinated and then about once every other day. I have just started watering twice a week at longer intervals to promote a longer root system.

The lawn was pretty thick to begin with but like I said, I was trying to get the TTTF instead of the KBG. I guess Ill wait a few more months to see what happens. I will post some picks tomorrow.
  5. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

turf type tall fescue doesn't like lots of moisture when germinating
  6. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

single blade? tttf takes about 4 mowings before it starts showing signs of maturty (the crease in the blade) blue grass could take 20 to 30 days just to sprout
  7. EliteImpressions

from Jersey

I probably didnt explain well enough. Some section of grass look like they just sprouted two weeks ago but in reality they sprouted around October. They never went to the next stage and the only reason I can think of is overcrowding.