How long for Trimec to be rain fast?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by SpikeGT, May 9, 2007.

1. SpikeGT

SpikeGT LawnSite Member
    from NW OH

How long should Trimec be put on before it's rain fast? I put it on my yard to kill dandelions Tuesday night @ 6:00 pm. It's now Wednesday around 11:00 am and threatening to rain. Will it be rain proof yet? Thanks

2. wrivers

wrivers LawnSite Member

If you used a spreader/sticker you're probably OK. Ideally you'd give it at least 24 hours, though. Wes

3. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

As long as its not a down pour you should still get good results after a couple hours.

4. SpikeGT

SpikeGT LawnSite Member
    from NW OH

Thanks guys. I think I got those darn dandelions they were all curled up this morning so I don't think the rain will have any effect.

5. heritage

heritage LawnSite Bronze Member

What was the temp when you applied? The warmer the air, the quicker it's rainfast.

Pete D.

6. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Sounds like good advice from fellow members. There are several formulations of Trimec, but I assume you used the classic amine formulation.

If temps hit 60 or above, it should be good after 3 or 4 hours because dandelions are easy to kill. Heat , humidity, and sunshine help speed uptake.

We've applied Trimec amine in drizzle on cloudy days and got excellent results - providing temps were 60 or above.

7. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

We've also found good results with Mec-Amine D when there's a little rain, especially in dry conditions.

Try telling that to customers though.

8. SpikeGT

SpikeGT LawnSite Member
    from NW OH

The temp was in the mid 70's. I used Trimec Classic. Thanks for all your replies. All the dandelions look like they're done for.

9. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

I have finished lawns in a drizzle and been OK. Even a down pour within 1 hour has not hurt results on occasion.

10. garydale

garydale LawnSite Senior Member

I'm with Grandview on this one.

We would tell the customer to check lawn in one week. If bad control we retreat.

Almost never happens. The possible damage from overdosing with a retreat is not worth the chance.