How long have you been in business ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TLS, May 30, 2001.

1. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

It has probably been discussed before, but for all the new guys.....How long have you been in business? Also for those like me, who started real young as the neighborhood mowing boy, list that also.

I started at 10 y.o. mowing my (Mom & Dads) lawn. Dads 1968 Cub Cadet 12hp Kohler 48" Cut, Hydrostatic. Old push mower, Agway weedwacker.

At 11y.o. I was mowing 2 neighbors lawns in addition to my lawn. That was 1981, 20 years ago!

I turned 18 in 1988 and registered Tommy's Lawn Service as a Ficticious name with the State of PA. This is my legitimate start due to being underage. So its been 13 years for me.

I know that there are some old timers here, lets see who has been at it the longest!
  2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Tommy, for the amount of time you've been in the business, it sounds as though you are doing rather well. What gets me are the guys who have been in it for 6 or 7 years, and are doing almost a million a year. You know the type; like we read about in the magazines and stuff. I have a friend of mine who has been at it for 7 years now, and he does about 3/4 of a million a year at this time. Myself, I've been in it (on my own) for about 17 years now and I do well, let's just say not NEARLY that much. :rolleyes: Anyway, I still enjoy the work, and one thing is for sure; I don't have HALF the headache!
  3. John from OH

John from OH LawnSite Member

I started mowing lawns 29 years ago at the age of 10. I started my current company after college and incorporated in 1985.
  4. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

About 10 years...

1st year ('91-92) in Maryland, then down in Florida for 5-6 years and now back in Maryland for the last 3.
  5. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

started in 96, still working on the million.
  6. Currier

Currier LawnSite Senior Member

This is my tenth year.
  7. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I started mowing right after dirt and grass seed were invented. :D

I started mowing on the farm with a 7' sickle bar mower and the tractor 50 years ago at the age of 8 and I also mowed our 1 acre lawn with it. ;)

I started my lawn business in 1985
  8. Eric and others,
    My story is similar.

Started working for my father(after school and Saturdays) since age 8. He's been in the business since 1960. I went on my own in '83.:cool:
  9. Scotty

Scotty LawnSite Member

I started my lawn service in 1983, I still have customers from when I started 18 years ago. Time is flying by.
  10. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

I started mowing my own lawn at the age of 8. Last year was my first year in business. I'm doing okay for being a newbee at the biz. Don't have a ton of jobs but I'm working on that part of business. Like I've said many times before, I'm standing out from my competitors and am getting more jobs for it. I'm also targeting larger properties now that I have my Groundsmaster. It's been fun though and I'm gonna keep working on having the best biz in town.