How long have you been in business

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by PRECISION LC, Feb 8, 2002.

PRECISION LC LawnSite Member

Just wondering how long you have been in business. How old you were when you started and how long it took to get to your desired size?
  2. Daleman

Daleman LawnSite Member

Been in business officially for 2 days now. Hope to obtain 30 customers before spring starts!! Let the Advertising begin!!
  3. BobR

BobR LawnSite Senior Member

Welcome Precision LC

Have been business for five years, was 55 when my employment with a large company went on the rocks, took my severence pay and started up.. I work alone and reached capacity in three years (might be able to do more but I believe my customers would see a decline in personal attention), I have never looked back (company job). Watch out for the shoppers and cheapskates your service is worth a good price don't give it away.
  4. PAPS

PAPS LawnSite Senior Member

started cutting some of the neighbor's lawns at the age of 17 and who would have known it would have turned into a pretty large company right now at the age of 24.
  5. Bassman

Bassman LawnSite Senior Member

When I started out in June of 2000, I jumped on just about every opportunity to make a buck and settled for less than I should have as far as compensation goes. BobR is right on with his analysis of shoppers and cheapskates. After I saw that I would be able to meet expenses and make a go of my LCO, I finally started to bid jobs without being afraid that I would lose the prospect if I was not "low enough". Don't sell your services too cheaply. There are plenty of potential customers who are smart enough to know that they get what they pay for. After you are established and have a full schedule, you can start to replace slow payors, eccentric over-demanding types, etc. with appreciative and loyal customers who pay great and love the superior service you provide and wouldn't drop you no matter what low baller comes down the pike. You've got them for life and every time you perform maint. on their property you know you are earning fair compensation for the time you put in and you will be paid promptly when your statement goes out. Money in the bank, no hassles.
  6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

This is the beginning of our 8th year. I started our firm when I was 38. Who knows where it will go from there?
  7. DMS

DMS LawnSite Member

Kyle (Precision LC)-

I started mowing with my grandfather at age 10. We maintained about 5-10 properties. In 1996, at age 16 I decided I was sick of making minimum wage lifeguarding, so I set myself up to expand. I haven't looked back since. I reached my desired capacity of 70 in the third year ('98). I would say I routinely turn away about 50 customers per year. I would like to take them on, but most of my help is in high school and are involved with extracurricular activities. That leaves me to pick up the slack, which I don't mind, but I am also a full-time firefighter by trade. The business has been good to me as I stated in an earlier thread. It paid for all of my schooling and equipment including a pickup. Persistence and quality work pay off. Good luck with school and the business.

Nick Dinges, 23
    Dinges Mowing Service
  8. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

This has been discussed before a few times, but here goes again!

Started cutting grass at age 10 (summer of 1980) had 3 neighbors lawns, plus ours. Registered for Ficticious Name with the Commonwealth of PA "Tommy's Lawn Service" in 1988, and have been at capacity ever since. I still have one of my original customers from my first year. Most customers are going on 17 years now. Most have moved or died :( and I still cut the new owners!
  9. southside

southside LawnSite Senior Member

6 years. Fulltime the whole time.
  10. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

August of 96............May of 98: Part timer
    May of 98.................present: Full time

Didn't have enough when I went full time.....................then had too much....................gave up some....................going back for more!

Being more selective and bidding high.............if I get it I can smile now...........before........:(