How long is a customer a customer

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Dragonscapes, Feb 22, 2004.

1. Dragonscapes

Dragonscapes LawnSite Member
    from Ontario

Hi, I've had some problems with my cousins business he's trying to say that I owe his company money and that I have to purchase HIS business. Anyways I've tried to deal with him on everything but he's been threatening to sue me now and warning me that I can't take customers that were customers of his company last year says they are his property. I'm trying to start my own company that would be doing the same things that his company did. His company reissues customer contracts every year for that year dates are even printed on them eg. contract for 200x season . many of the customers hate him they've been dealing with him for the last 2 years. They would like to book with me if I can get a company open. How long are they customers of his company? I would think that they cease to be his customers at the end of the service season unless they rebook with him the following year. Am I correct about this?

2. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

sounds like his ship is sinking and he is looking for any way to get money
    he cant sue u for takeing his customers unless u have a no compeet contract with him do u?
    if a customer wants to sign up with u he cant do a thing about it
    a customer belongs to noone unless there is a contract and when it is up they can go anywhere
    sounds like your cousin is a bad business man
    but why would u want to take work from family?

3. Dragonscapes

from Ontario

over the past three years he has imposed several unbusiness like pactices on his employee's and familiy we no longer consider him family except that we are related by blood. He fired my brother giving him the option "your daughter or his job get your priority's straight." my brother was putting in 75 hour weeks at the time working for my cousin who had not paid him in 3 months. my brother was not the first person he did this to. And no I do not have a no competition contract with him. I was to buy his business however he never sold it to me I was to be the manager but had no financial control over the company. he borrowed ten's of thousands of dollars ( that customers sent in to have work done) and told me I had to find a source of money to do the work it wasn't his problem. He has also been sending his customers to me telling them I personally have their money money he took and spent. It was to be a simple business deal but he was unable to follow through with it for whatever reasons he may have had.

4. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

sounds like a real ******* if u want a business start your owne and get away from him and let your customers know u have nothing to do with him anymore

5. FFMED74

FFMED74 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Sound like the people of your community need a good honest person to turn to and to get good service. I say go for it ! But totally seperate your self from him, if he wears a certain color then I'd wear something different. By the way I am no lawyer(ff/medic) I would say that if he does sue you, you have a counter sue, he can't tell lies about you to customer, that is called slander, especially if you are losing $$$, I dont advocate suits, but if he sues then think about the counter suit....

6. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

If they are not under contract with him then they are yours for the taking.Get the ones you can if that is what you want.If you give them good service in a little time you will have all of his customers because it sounds like he doesn't have a clue about business.

7. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

I dont care what the customers signed! take them and have a GREAT SEASON!!!

And dont forget every time you see him give him the FINGER:D that will get him going:cool:
    john

8. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

And dont forget every time you see him give him the FINGER:D that will get him going:cool:
    john [/B][/QUOTE]

Well put John

9. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah he is going down and is looking to do anything he can to get the monkey off his back. Dont even deal with him anymore, let him take you to court... sounds like he wanted to collect all the money and let everyone else take the heat.

10. Dragonscapes

from Ontario

The last time I was on good speaking terms with him he said he was over 500,000 in debt