How long is a mower battery good for?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by americanlawn, Aug 26, 2007.

1. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

My Z-turn all of a sudden quit running mid-way through a lawn. I jump-started the mower, but as soon as I engaged the blades, it quit again. Turned out that the battery was weak (4 years old). I replaced it yesterday, and no problem since.

The mower was a 2004 John Deere 727-A, so it was used almost four seasons.

Anybody else experience this? rscvp:usflag:
  2. ealbertson

ealbertson LawnSite Senior Member

Four years is a long time for a typical mower battery.
  3. jpp

jpp LawnSite Silver Member

I have been told that the should only last about a year or two. I replaced mine after 3 or 4 years and Napa said I was lucky to have used it that long.
  4. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

I knew it was an electrical problem for sure, so I checked all fuses as well as the safety switch on the seat (bypassed 'em) ---but no difference.

Thanks, americanlawn
  5. joshco84

joshco84 LawnSite Senior Member

some last two or three years and some last as long as five or six. doesnt really depend on anything, just some last longer than others.
  6. jkingrph

jkingrph LawnSite Senior Member

I have the original equipment battery in a JD lawn tractor , purchased early spring of 2000. Still going strong. I mounted and hard wired a battery maintainer to it so when not being used off season, it stays plugged in.
  7. Americal Vet

Americal Vet LawnSite Senior Member

Mine typically last 2, maybe 3 years tops. And when they go, they go all of a sudden it seems.

ED'S LAWNCARE LawnSite Senior Member

Just put a new one in my lazer this week. It was 4 yrs old.
  9. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

How many running hours are yall seein out of them?
  10. SproulsLawnCare

SproulsLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member
    from IN

I have never replaced a battery in a mower yet, as long as the battery was maintained. I have had one that needed to be replaced because it sat for several years, and then was cranked on till it was dead. Every other mower died before the battery did.