1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How long is mowing season?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by germann, Nov 6, 2003.

1. germann

germann LawnSite Senior Member

Central KY-Every year we have customers that want to wait till May for the first cut and get upset when we cut weekly in Oct. As soon as they get cold enough to wear a jacket, they think the grass quits growing. We usually cut weekly April-October and every other week in March and November as necessary.
    1-what climate factors should we look for as a sign that grass will slow down, etc. I know every yard is different
    2-what is your season-please state region
  2. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

In the Northeast only Mother Nature will know the answer. Last year I stopped mowing the 2nd week of Oct, 2 years ago 1st week in Dec..I have at least one more week this year.
  3. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

51 and 1/2 weeks. WOOOT!
  4. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

I keep cutting until they tell me they're done, I'd never turn down work. There's just something about cutting grass with snow flurries coming down that gets me in the christmas mood. lol. Besides, grass growing or not, leaves get sucked up by the mower, and people like the lines on the lawn for their thanksgiving guests. I live in NYC, staten island, so its smilar to ffshuter, but my rule of thimb for me is to cut grass atleast until thanksgiving and save the other work for after(trimming, gravel, etc.). take care.
  5. fastlane

fastlane LawnSite Senior Member

If it's growing We are mowing.
  6. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I usually start around the second week of April, if weather permits, end the first to second week of November.
  7. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Grass cutting is from April 1st to October 31st. If it needs it after that, then my customers will call. This saves a lot of unnecessary driving.
  8. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

me, same as bob. 4/1 till 10/31. after that, its called leaf cleanup
  9. bluemoon7

bluemoon7 LawnSite Member

I usually start first week in April and stop whenever it stops growing... sometimes November sometimes into December (NE WI)
  10. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Someone once said in reference to the weather out here in Central Oregon, "If you don't like the weather, just wait twenty-four hours." So... with that in mind I've kept some gas in the mower, though I'm wondering how long it will take to melt several inches of snow.