1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How long is your Cutting season?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Kingram10, Sep 3, 2006.

1. Kingram10

Kingram10 LawnSite Member
    from Arizona

This is my first year in the Buis , Is you season 9 or 10 months long? I guess florida its all year long?
    How about here in Arizona?
  2. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

9-10 months here, depending on rain and how quickly we get a freeze.
  3. noseha

noseha LawnSite Senior Member
    from MI

22-26 weeks depeding on rain
  4. beautifullawns

beautifullawns LawnSite Senior Member

about 24 weeks here
  5. noseha

noseha LawnSite Senior Member
    from MI

For Biding Purpose I Use 24 Weeks
  6. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

Here in AZ it is 50 weeks. You get a couple of weeks off after over seeding before the first cut of the winter Rye grass. If not over seeding April 1st. through the end of Oct.
  7. richallseasons

richallseasons LawnSite Senior Member

10 of my commercial accounts request 28 weeks so thats the number I try to go with but some residetials will come in at 24
  8. AAELI

AAELI LawnSite Senior Member

52 weeks. Don't even get time off for good behaviour. In real dry or real wet seasons we may get a brief break.
  9. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Brendan....when do you typically start...and when do you typically stop? I know fall cleanup can keep us going til around Christmas.
  10. tjsquickcuts

tjsquickcuts LawnSite Senior Member
    from Atlanta

I start my season first week of March, with Pre Emergent and just some basic prep things. Season goes through the week of Christmas, with Leaf Clean ups, Pre-Emergents and other misc. things. The month of Jan. is all vacation, rest and relaxation, and plenty of sex. During Feb, all the leg work for the season begins. For anybody really planning on being successful in the business, Feb. is really one of the most important months. I weed out some of my pitas from the previous year, and market hard to replace them and add more. Something that worked well for me last year, was I had a early sign-up cook-out for all my current customers plus for possible customers in certain neighborhoods. Had a pretty nice turnout, and really was able to spring board into March with a nice a tight route. Hope everyone is having as good a year as I am having, just hope we get more rain and warm weather at least through the end of Oct. so I can finish this year with a bang.....