How Long is Your Lawn ?

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by EdTLawn, Jul 30, 2007.

1. EdTLawn

EdTLawn LawnSite Member

So how long do you cut your own lawns ?

I tried 3", 3.5", 4" and now 4.5". I think 4.5" looks the best with its thick lush look.

2. mrkosar

mrkosar LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

i usually wait until mine is about 5 inches then mow it down to 3.5 inches. i don't mind the high look, and i don't use any weed control...just pull a few manually every other week or so. greenest lawn in the neighborhood, especially in the summer.

3. MaineFert

MaineFert LawnSite Member
    from Maine

Mine is pushing 4.5, especially in the heat, but i keep it high throughout the year, without it being a pasture!

4. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

I mow @ 2.875 only due the issue of 3 dogs worth of poop is tough to find at the higher settings. When I do mow at the max height just shy of 3.5" it really takes off and grows rapidly. We been having a hot summer here. I just amazes me that people have such a need to mow at 2" and they think the shocked and heat stressed lawns look good. I think it must be the putting green syndrome . . .?

5. EdTLawn

EdTLawn LawnSite Member

Are you German by any chance with that exacting height ...LoL

I agree most kill their turf themselves by cutting it too short, the heat just assures it is good and dead ! Most think that by cutting it short they don't have to cut as frequent, hence giving them more quality time with the family !, I tell them hows that helping when you water your lawn everynight trying to revive it ? ...LoL I don't water my lawn at all and it is 100x more green then the daily waterers

6. Budget

Budget LawnSite Senior Member
    from Pa.

My grass gets cut at 4.5" and is green and full looking. No weeds right now getting ready to overseed here in late August.

7. General Landscaping

General Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

In times of good rain, the back yard gets cut at 1", if the deck would go lower, I'd cut there.

EdTLawn:

2.875" works out to 2 7/8".... probably an actual height measurement at the 3" setting.

8. PBinWA

PBinWA LawnSite Member

Mower is set at 4" and I mow it once a week. I might go to 3.5" in the spring and fall but in the summer I leave it longer.

I water but not the entire thing daily. I just have two big impulse sprinkler and they get moved to wherever they are needed and turned on for two hours once in the morning and once in the evening. I have 1+ acre that gets watered.

It's still nice and green. It's getting a little brown in some of the edges where it transitions to pasture but those spots probably didn't get aerated enough in the spring.

9. PSUTURFGEEK

PSUTURFGEEK LawnSite Senior Member

It's great to keep the mowing height up for alot of reasons but as you know Disease loves longer turf so that's one thing you do need to monitor this time of year, In Pa disease is everywhere right now.

10. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

I mow my lawn at 4 inches during the summer. Early spring & late fall = 3 1/2 inches. I never use a crabgrass preventer either. My lawn stays green longer than anybody elses in the neighborhood.