how long is your leaf estimate valid?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Nov 30, 2005.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

leaf cleaning can be extremely profitable. but the same job can go from 2 hrs of work, to 5 hrs of work. when you give a quote for cleanup, say it's $3 bills, and the client wants to "think about it." ok, she's thought about...but since then, it's rained twice, and the leaves are matted and unworkable. she calls 2 weeks later for the go ahead. is it STILL $3 bills? or do you increase it ?

2. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

No estimates here. If they want the leaves gone I will get rid of them at my price, they will find this price out later. They just tell me to go ahead and thats what I do. When I am done they get a billl that shows each date that I was there but the only price is the total plus tax at the bottom. I have had no complaints on this system and it is quite profitable but you have to have the right customers, I am skilled in finding them.

3. bobbygedd

from NJ

so then, i need clients who will sign with me under the following conditions?: " how much?" I CAN'T TELL YA "well, about how much?" CAN'T TELL YOU TILL I'M DONE "ok, where do i sign?" sounds like u got a good thing goin there, ed ;)

4. Remsen1

Remsen1 LawnSite Bronze Member

The price on an estimate for a fall cleanup can change in as little as just a few hours. I let them know that the price is based on what I see RIGHT NOW and it could easily double if there is a heavy rain or more leaves fall or if we get a snow and a thaw. This usually encourages them to ask me to "please do it now."

5. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

I have pre-thanksgiving prices and post-thanksgiving prices. usually by now (like this year) we've had a snow storm, several rainy days and lots of frozen ground to deal with. it takes much longer and i pass that right on to the customer.

6. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

Thats not a good way to do it because, you may shock them. Then it becomes harder to get paid, and you may lose a customer. I always give them a ball park. But you figure most people have had a LCO do there leaves before so they know it's not gonna be $50

7. Justcutitshort

Justcutitshort LawnSite Member

No, you need to stop yanking our chain, grow up, and stopping asking questions any 20 year old boy with a background in the business could answer.
    Funny is one thing, pathetic is another.
    Maybe you need the phone number of one of my Spanish employees, so he can help you with your questions:dizzy:

8. bobbygedd

from NJ

how bout just answering the question smart ass milk n cookies charging lawnboy punk

9. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

That is the way I have been doing it for TEN years. No complaints and no shocking them. You runn your business your way and I'll run mine my way. If thats not a good way of doing it for you thats fine I didn't ask you how you do it and truthfully it ain't my business and i don't care. But don't tell me it isn't a good way without knowing anything about my business.
    Now don't be humpin my leg bubby because I have a system that works. I don't have an I'll bust yer azz relationship with my clients. I have always billed fairly for both sides, the work is demanding, they don't want to worry about it and I cover my expenses and make a nice profit to spend on Christmas. payup

10. bobbygedd

from NJ

ed, if u r billing them, without them knowing in advance how much, and there hasn't been a problem in 10 yrs...i can only conclude, you are working dirt cheap. this is the only logical answer