How long shoud it take?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by gil, Aug 17, 2005.

1. gil

gil LawnSite Member

This is going to be my first big patio job. The total square foot is 1250. I told my customer it will take me 1 week with a 2 man crew. Does the time sounds right? :help:

2. Drafto

Drafto LawnSite Senior Member

Ooooh. First one? How will you be excavating? What kind of experience do you have? Education? 1250 is a good size patio. I did a driveway in March with some walkways that was 1400 and it took me an embarassing 9 days with 3 guys (that does include myself). It was my 3rd job. I have learned a lot since then, if it was tomorrow I could get it done in probably in 4 or 5 days now that I have a clue.

Dan

P.S. Flame away everyone, I am not afraid to say it took me 9 days!

3. mbella

mbella LawnSite Bronze Member

NINE days! We could have manufactured the pavers and installed them in nine days. Just kidding.

Gil, is this a raised application? How is the access? Do you have to haul out the excavated material? Are there a lot of cuts? There are too many variables to give you an answer based on the info. you provided.

4. Drafto

(NINE days! We could have manufactured the pavers and installed them in nine days. Just kidding.)

Dude - It hurt typing it out! I actually thought about removing that blurb while I was proof reading it! Encouragement to others to follow:

I never had any experience with pavers before in my life until last year when I did 1 job, without any help form anyone who ever even used pavers before (except every professional on this site that responded to me as I frantically looked for direction!). Anyway, on that 1400 sqft driveway, we were on hands and knees setting each paver and tapping it into place with rubber mallets. No I am not drinking truth serum tonight! I took the ICPI course this spring and wow, do I feel real DUMB looking back at all 3 jobs I have done. Are they done right? The principles were there, but man did we waste a ton of time................tapping each paver with mallets......

If this is your first job, good luck, but take the ICPI course if you intend to do anymore. Educate yourself and ask the right questions, posting here is a good start.

Dan

5. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

I am up to my 3rd or 4th paver job solo now. My secound paver job was a 1200 sq patio. It was a rasided patio. The home owner built the walls and did a rough grade base for the patio. I had to spend 1 day leveling out the base and getting the right pitch. Then i laid the 1200 feet of pavers in 2 days solo. The 4th day i made all the cuts and sanded it. This was all by myself.

Then the job after it was a 400sq walk way.This was the first paver job i had where i had to do the excavation also. This walkway was tricky. Alot of curves and ground was pitched 4 feet in a distants of 50 feet. This job took me 7 days. I was embarrased. I expected to be out of there in 3!

Matt

6. gil

gil LawnSite Member

Thanks for the reply. I have done several walkways. Mostly 20' long but i've never done a big patio before. I have the education and also the tools. The only problem is how to calculate the hours it will take me to complete the job. I didn't wanted to price this job to high (or too low) because of the hours or days I think this could take me. With your responses I have an idea of how long it will take me.
    Thanks to all of you.
    Gil

7. Bobcat s250 NY

Bobcat s250 NY Banned
    from texas

LOL i find myself taping pavers with my mallet too. ;) Maybe this is why it takes longer than i figure.. Please dont kill me with this but if your not on your hands and knees setting all the pavers and giving them alil tap what do you do??? ;) ;)

8. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

I hope you use a rubber mallet :)

9. Drafto

Go take the ICPI course, it is just "click and drop", set the edges tight and drop it into place. Go on ICPI.org and spend $20 on one of their videos, and you'll be real depressed at how fast YOU lay pavers.

Dan

10. Bobcat s250 NY

Bobcat s250 NY Banned
    from texas

Just Ordered it !!!