Lawn Care Forum banner

How Long Should A Mower Last

11K views 46 replies 13 participants last post by  southerntide 
#1 ·
I'm looking to buy another lawn mower and I'm wondering how long do lawn mowers usually last under commercial use. Obviously there are a ton of variables but for a commercial grade lawn mower how many hours do you usually get out of them? Also is there any hour age that you would not buy one over no matter how old it is?
I've always sold mowers before they've died on my and only bought ones with about 200-300 hrs on them so I kind of need to know where that sweet spot I should be looking for one for in is.

#3 ·
they will last forever if you keep replacing things. the big question is do you sale them at 1500hrs or do you start replacing the engine and hydros and so forth?

i'm kindof on the fence about it. my deere is at 1075hrs. wondering if i should keep it and replace the engine and hydros when they go out or if i should just sale it and get a new one down the road? i'm not sure which is the better option.

i can already tell the hydros are alot weaker than the used to be. it's just a matter of time before they will need to be replaced. they aren't cheap either. it will be over 2 grand. by that time the engine will probably go so another 2 grand. :laugh:

tires are gonna need to be replaced soon. before you know it spindles will start going out and you'll have put over 5k into it.

i only paid 8k for the mower brand new so replacing all that will be over half the price of a new mower. i'm not sure if it's worth it or not.

#4 ·
That's why I get a new unit before 1200hrs man stay under warranty 1 good commercial cutting job will pay dbl your payments and then some, if you choose that route I prefer it

I'm going to start selling locally do the same Weeze but I cycle to anew unit every 2 years look at this that sold lmao dam

2012 - 1147hrs - 60" 920A
Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Reactions: ericg
#9 ·
They will still keep on a trucking though with good service, I expect 3500-5k when I sale mine with warranty crap I sold that junkard last brand mower over 2,500hrs for nearly 2 and I was giving it away pretty much all I asked for was offer to just get it away from me so I would never see that name brand in my yard again lol

Some guys from Hville bought it I gave them every nut and bolt and blade and everything else associated with it after I busted old dealer doing what he was doing
:clapping:

You never quote me post so I can reply back I always run across your reply ughhh quote me Weezer lmao

#11 ·
I hate dull blades I got 5 sets rotate daily sometimes I will run on a set 2 days max. |Leave horrible cut waste more gas, see people running a week on them and tearing not cutting the grass, blades get beat up here bad due to soil content, weeds, ant hills by the millions and freaking pine cones galore

Oil changed every 50 hrs

Fuel filters buy in bulk chunk ethanol build up in them 25-50hrs

Air filters as needed been through a ton this season from drought gotta keep that motor breathing literally 3mths of dust storms mowing had cars stopping in road it was so bad not my intention but couldn't help it such fine powder dusty/sandy soil here.

PSI check daily

Oil level checks daily

weekly check all hardware on weekends and pre-sharpen all blades

#22 ·
do it your way I keep doing it mine Stan k :) works for me has for years now keep on trucking

#19 ·
I replace my blades on the V Ride every few months. Usually have a pretty strong curve to the actual cutting edge on the blade after a few months of cutting.

#24 ·
Uh got some G6's to tear a solid 1/4" chunk out of some galvanized pipe on a swingset yesterday they kept trucking too. Only sharpen them EOW...I'm starting to think they're formed from of Valyrian Steel.

ST, No curve here straight as an arrow

BR,

~TW

Reactions: southerntide
#26 ·
Uh got some G6's to tear a solid 1/4" chunk out of some galvanized pipe on a swingset yesterday they kept trucking too. Only sharpen them EOW...I'm starting to think they're formed from of Valyrian Steel.

ST, No curve here straight as an arrow

BR,

~TW
Did you see that steel I hit in my Grassflap thread didn't even hurt my blade and they are Stens I get more hours out of them than the JD OEMS

mine always get some curve in them after a month or two. the sails start to wear off at that point too. it's the sandy soil here. it destroys blades. they only last 2-3 months tops.
I know was gonna say that in post but didn't why man what are you guys doing for that curve lol?

#27 ·
Ok, thanks guys. So from what I'm hearing I'm thinking the sweet spot to buy a mower at is about 500 hours. I'll try to keep that in mind when I'm looking for my next mower.

#32 ·
No those sets of blades lasted 500hours we are derailed they still have usable life on them too

Mine turned over 550hrs yesterday and just got it last year + sit all winter if I sold you mine right now 650hrs of warranty left I would get a good resale make that goooood resale lol

Be buying new unit next year sometime before 1200hrs

Reactions: River and ericg
#28 ·
Reactions: southerntide
#31 ·
He could of done the before sale I know some people like that no lie they think they gotta replace all this stuff because the hours when it is still good

#36 ·
i wonder how the super z hyperdrive cuts down here? some people have no issues while others seem to have issues if the grass is wet. if it cuts good in your area that would be the best mower to get. the hydro system has a 3000hr warranty. it has the industrial grade hydros.

most other hydro systems are gone by 2000hrs maybe sooner.

i was also looking at their website and the vanguard 37hp efi engine has a 5 year warranty on it! you can't beat that. the kawi engines only offer 3 years i think. my kawi only had a 2 year warranty when i bought it.

i wish every brand would switch to the industrial hydro setup. i'm sure hustler has some kind of a patent on it right now. :/

#37 ·
i wonder how the super z hyperdrive cuts down here? some people have no issues while others seem to have issues if the grass is wet. if it cuts good in your area that would be the best mower to get. the hydro system has a 3000hr warranty. it has the industrial grade hydros.

You know Weeze I have wondered about that as well. The thing is the hyperdrive holds what, 3.5 gallons oil? Makes fluid changes really expensive unless you can go 1000-1500 hours between changes.

Reminds me of the old Fram commercial "You can pay me now or pay me later."

#45 ·
Yup mines good to go 1yr headed toward 600hrs now

Reactions: sjessen and ericg
#44 ·

most other hydro systems are gone by 2000hrs maybe sooner.

i was also looking at their website and the vanguard 37hp efi engine has a 5 year warranty on it! you can't beat that. the kawi engines only offer 3 years i think. my kawi only had a 2 year warranty when i bought it.

i wish every brand would switch to the industrial hydro setup. i'm sure hustler has some kind of a patent on it right now. :/
My AG place "NOT MY DEALER" but city ag supply, you probably know they carry hustlers everyone over here leaves a crap cut compared to our units not even close

#47 ·
I got end of May last year .1 hours off the truck lol our yards are gigantic here ask Weezer

I'll done be selling and have new unit this time next year

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Gas Auto part Font

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.