How long should I water for?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Gabby, Jul 4, 2010.

1. You are the one who doesn't understand the study. It's explained pretty black and white to its purpose. The study you want is another entirely different study that requires an active water manager. If that is the need for accuracy then the manufacturers need to state that as one of the parameters for proper watering. That study would involve the degree and frequency of tweaking necessary for accuracy and whetherthe manager whoever it may be can perform it accurately.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Read the study again Pete. The study is targeted at the irrigation professional, who is expected to "tweak" the controller based on site conditions. If I am not mistaken, all smart controllers have two choices of programming .... the idiot proof one which uses broad assumptions and generalizations .... and the professional (advanced) programming which allows the knowledgeable person to "tweak" the controller to site conditions. The controllers in this study were "tweaked" to the virtual site conditions .... and hence the importance of knowing exactly how the controllers were programmed.

Yes it is Pete .... why don't you try reading instead of skimming, and more importantly understanding the study before you attempt to discuss it.

3. We can logically assume the controllers were tweaked in the beginning by professionals as accurately as they could be based on the parameters the manufacturers provided. To suggest you need to personally know the settings is pretty typical since no controller in the history of the universe has been programmed properly unless it has had your two cents. The study isn't about how awesome you program controllers.

Now future tweakings is a whole different study.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

I see we are done here. Thanks for your uninformed participation. :rolleyes:

5. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

One more thing to note here given your later post, which prompted me to read this one again..

I categorically disagree with the statement in bold, with the possible exception of SDI in certain scenarios. Why you would follow a generally good informative post with a statement (and the later post) that is in direct contradiction to what you just wrote boggles my mind.

6. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

As long as there isn't runoff, why not water infrequently and deeply?

7. Alwaysgood but if you are watering way deeper than the established root zone?
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Obviously there's the point of diminishing returns.

9. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Geez, you dopes, get a 12" Lincoln moisture probe forestry-suppliers.com, it is indespensible to fine-tuning a system, including a so-called "Smart System". After all, no one has given us x-ray vision, before you dink with the settings on the clock,you need to be in the field and do the measuring BEFORE screwing around with the clock. :clapping:

10. I hope someday you write a brief paper on your use of the Lincoln and how it helped your water mangement through use of the controller. Might show beanies the value of pricing in and selling after install monitoring.
    Posted via Mobile Device