How Long Should it Last

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by luv2fly, Jun 7, 2004.

1. luv2fly

luv2fly LawnSite Member
    from ATL

How many hours do you put on a mower,before you replace it?
    I was talking with a friend of mine today about running a business and he asked how long before you have to replace your mower, weed eater, edger, blower, and trimmer. Since I'm new to this I could not answer that question. He stated you need to know that to figure out your cost of running the business.

If this question was already asked and answered let the new guy know and I will do a search.

Thanks for your time,

luv2fly

2. dlandscaping

dlandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from mass

weedwhacker 300hrs, mower up to 3000, and Im not sure on the blower, trimmer for bushes should be at 300-500

3. BCSteel

BCSteel LawnSite Senior Member

I usually use it till it dies. Weed eaters, trimmers and blowers should get an easy 1000 hrs. Small 21" mower around 1500-2000 hrs and rider 3000-4000hrs before an overhaul.

4. chuckwk

chuckwk Founder
    from KC, MO

The guy I started business with back in 1994 (?if memory serves)still has the 32" Ferris hydro w/ 12.5 kawi we bought used for $1,800. It has at least 10,000 hours on it with the original engine never being overhauled. No overhaul needed on any major component.

5. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Maintenance is the key,maintain it well and don't abuse it and it will be your friend. Abuse it without any TLC and it will be your worst nightmare.
    I figure 2000 hours for a ZTR before retiring it to backup or trade in status.Our cost per hour is based on that.
    Trimmers and blowers..........If they go three seasons without trouble I'm happy,beyond that is a bonus to me.(some will last longer,I just don't plan on it)