1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How long should it take...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawn-Scapes, Sep 30, 2004.

1. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

to train someone (no experience) to trim at least half as good as yourself?

I started a guy 2 weeks ago and....... :dizzy:

How long should I give him?

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Take those blood-pressure tests at the drug store, when yours gets to the "high" range, its time to wrap the trimmer around his neck :realmad:
  3. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

20+ years too be as good as I am .... OR bout 40+ hrs of straight time to be 1/2 as good
  4. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

It would take forever for someone to be half as good as me ;) Usually a couple of weeks, but try not to make them think that they are more capable than they are. We had a guy that though he was one of us after one day. We had to redo everything he did because it was so choppy and he missed every tree and pole, he was just cruising around the perimeter. After he edged one 100 ft sidewalk for over an hour and changed the blade 9 times we realized that he wasn't going to cut it. He then proceeded to blow the dirt and grass from the edging directly onto a bystander instead of blowing it the opposite direction.
  5. easycareacres

easycareacres LawnSite Senior Member

I go through 7-10 diff people to find a good one with eye for detail and good speed.