1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How long should Walker Hydro last?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mcambrose, Oct 4, 2002.

1. mcambrose

mcambrose LawnSite Senior Member

I have a hydro acting up at about 1200 hours on my Walker 20 hp. Is this unusual? It is getting to where it doesn't have enough power to back up a steep hill, but does max speed is good on level ground. The other hydro still works fine. Never have had to add fluid to the pump. Could changing the fluid make a difference?
  2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Have you ever changed the filter?
  3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I don't really know very much about Walkers, but does it have a belt? If so, it could be slipping.
  4. Indiana

Indiana LawnSite Member

My Walker distributor says hydros last 3000 hours if you don't take care of them... I you service them you wear out the machine before hydros cause trouble... USUALLY.

I would say change filters, fluid, and belts. I doubt you have to replace the hydro yet. I have two Walkers a 20hp "T" and a 16 hp "C". both have 1000 - 1500 hours. No problems.
  5. mcambrose

mcambrose LawnSite Senior Member

I didn't know that the Walker hydros have filters. Do they have filters?
  6. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

I have a 1997 Walker 20HP with 2600+ hours and no hydro problems other than worn belt and streched tensioner spring. Walker has come out with a heavy duty spring for the idler pullys. I would start with a new belt and spring.

7. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

I would be calling the Walker dealer tomorrow morning. They had a recall on some of them. He would know the serial numbers. The one I sold was right in the middle of the recall and never had any trouble with it. Another guy bought one the same day I did and had his back for replacement in about a month or so. I put over 1000 hours on mine with no problems.
    Backing up was where the first sign of trouble showed up.
  8. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

i have to get a new belt and spring for mine. seems top speed is down and if you try to go to full speed immediately the belt slips and hits the bottom of the front body. might be why i can't work on hills too good.
  9. CMerLand

CMerLand LawnSite Senior Member

Take a look at your pulleys as well. If the pulleys are seriously worn then a new belt isnt going to solve the problem. It may mask it a bit until that belts worn but because the belt is riding deeper in the pulley it doesnt work as well as if riding on the pulley properly.
  10. shearbolt

shearbolt LawnSite Member

3900 hours on my hydros. Change the oil every year. Be very careful not to let dirt get in the hydros. Clean the reservoir very well before opening it up. When draining let them sit all night with the plugs out. Replace the drive belt (engine to jackshaft) and use the tighter spring.