How long to build your business?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bilchak, Mar 18, 2001.

1. bilchak

bilchak LawnSite Member

We just started full time. How long did it
    take you guys to get where you are today? Say....how
    long to get up to 50 residentials?

How long did it take you to get where you could turn away
    less profitable accounts?

I have fear that in our first year we may stuggle
    until the "word of mouth" advertising kicks in.

2. bdemir

bdemir LawnSite Senior Member

Bilchack,

I bought a lot of accounts my first full year but they turned out to be not so good and now i am restarting sort of speak. I have heard of guys getting 50 to 80 accounts in a year but that is in closely knitted neighborhoods. I think a lot of people do it in 2 to 4 years where they are comfortably established. How many have you set up so far.

Bedros

3. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

# of accounts doesn't mean a damn. I could have one $500,000 account and not make any money. You have to look at profit margin for EACH account. I know more than a few guys who have 75+ accounts and make under 30 grand. How sad...........

4. bdemir

bdemir LawnSite Senior Member

Barkleymut nobody said anything about how profitable the accounts were but what hes saying is how long does it take to get established or get the profitable accounts.

Bedros

5. RYAN

RYAN LawnSite Member

After my first year i had 35-40 accounts and after the second between 75 and 80. This was done by handing out flyers and placing a weekly ad in a newspaper. All these accounts were residential. Hope this helps.

6. cleancut

cleancut LawnSite Member

I had about 50 accts. after my 3rd p/t year...If I had been f/t, I probably could have had 50 after my first year if I really pursued the issue...I'm starting my 6th year now and am able to pick and choose my accounts...Last count, I had about 110-115 accounts....All of my accounts are not extremely profitable but several of them are the ones that I started out with...Right now I'm focusing my attention on yearround work....With two employees, I need to try to keep them busy the entire year so that they'll stay with the company...
    There's been times when I wished I was still a solo act, but I chose to expand so I'm trying not to look back...Good Luck..Derrick

7. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

it's not the # it's the $$ ....realize a first year income goal of say $??k (what you need to live)......then add jobs that fit your growth needs ......NEVER turn down "Profitable" accounts ....if the work get's more than you can do ....replace the better with the lesser ones ....

8. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

I'm in my 5th year. I haven't really pursued new accounts real heavy. I stay between 70-75 account and find that to be a handful. I would have to say after 2 years part time I had roughly 30 customers..........only a couple were really year round. I quit my full time job and it has grown slow but steady for the last 3 yrs. I don't go after everything that pops up now, those that I don't wnat or fit my profile I pass on to others that are trying to grow.

Expect 3 to 5 years before you get real comfortable and thats only if they are yearly or you have other work to do in the winter.

9. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

ok heres my 4 cents, we are always growning, whether it be getting more accounts, trying to make more profit, or buying something to help us get more done in a days work.and for this we are growing. for the topic starter grow at a pace you can handle, whether it be adding 10 more accounts each year or 20, if you can do that and make everyone happy (including yourself) go for it, but if you do grow and are unhappy and don't make as much profit then don't do it.

10. bilchak

bilchak LawnSite Member

Guys,

Thanks for all the info and opinions. As always, very
    insightful.

Cheers,
    Jb