How long to cut...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Herrick, Oct 19, 2008.

1. Herrick

Herrick LawnSite Senior Member

How long would you estimate to cut these two schools using a single 72" mower?

highschool.jpg

gradeschool.jpg

2. 1cooltreeguy

1cooltreeguy LawnSite Senior Member

School 1 - 14 hours seat time, a ton of edging and string trimming - 12-14 hrs and then 3-4 hours blowing. School 2- 6 hours mowing - 3 hours to string trim and edge. 1 hour blowing.

3. Kennedy Landscaping

Kennedy Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Thats alot of area to cover. I'm not so sure that I would want an account that big. Make sure you make it worth your while if you get my drift.

4. Kglenn04

Kglenn04 LawnSite Senior Member

that is a lot of area for one man, If you are placing a bid make it a healthy one

5. 1993lx172

1993lx172 LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't think one 72" will cut it. you'd need either another 72" or two or a WAM.

I'd try a tractor with one of those turf bat-wing mowers, you could probably find one and a tractor used for a pretty good price

6. corey4671

corey4671 LawnSite Silver Member

$50 should cover it...

7. jeffex

jeffex LawnSite Bronze Member

you need an overlay of what 1 acre is at the scale of the sat. picture . get a price per acre and multiply. figure hours by the 80% rate on mfg website for your mower. Your best bet is to walk off an acre your self using points visible on the sat. photo like a tree or edge of school. The one thing a sat photo doesn't show is topograhy so account for hills and gulleys by an onsite inspection. For trimming and edging get a wheel that measures distance and time yourself how long it takes to edge 100 ft of sidewalk. time trimming as well. these are your baseline #'s . Now go and measure the total distance to be edged and trimmed onsite. when you've done your homework pad some time for getting there and a margin of error in estimating. Don't forget profit and equipment replacement costs . whalla! you've got a price

8. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

One guy in our town cuts the high school, junior highschool, and all 4 elementary schools with a ztr. Up here there is no trimming and little if any blowing because he like i face the chute away from lots and streets. If your bidding on that its public information if they are public schools. So look it up.

9. heather lawn sp

heather lawn sp LawnSite Senior Member

1.4 acres per hour
    2.4 if no trimming involved

38 schools per cycle-18 cycles
    140 acres
    since 2003
    JD 997

10. heather lawn sp

heather lawn sp LawnSite Senior Member

. . .per hour:rolleyes: