how long to dig a basement?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by turboawd, May 9, 2007.

1. turboawd

turboawd LawnSite Member
    from midwest

how long would it take a 160 size excavator to dig a 8' foundation hole? the dimensions are 72'x30'.
  2. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Depending on your soil conditions etc I would say 4 hours but if its tough digging longer.
  3. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

There's many more variables than just slinging the dirt. If you had a constant chain of trucks and you were on the ball, you could do it in 4-5 hours. But, if you have 1 or 2 trucks, it's gonna take you a little longer. Figure you could load 10 yards into a truck in about 4-5 minutes which includes truck jockey time. That's 120-150 LCY per hour if you have a constant supply of trucks and you have everything staked well with a good grade checker at the bottom running grade as you go. Definately do-able in a day if you have a gameplan.
  4. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

if your 72x30 is just that, a square hole with no cut-outs, steps and there is room to fling the dirt, stock-pile or easily load out trucks at the same time AND the soil is easy with no surprises........good half day to a day easy. A good policy is to have contractor stake and paint and set your bench mark and grade depth....write it down on paper and get it signed. It's amazing at the short memories when a boo-boo occurs in depth and the hole is already dug and seems it was always someone elses fault, or " you should have known that, even though I told you......"
  5. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

That is about 2160 square feet. There are several variables, how deep are you going? An 8' basement plus 8-10" footing minus the amount of concrete reveal and height above existing ground or curb height. Usually it falls around 6'10" or so. Separating the topsoil from the pit run takes time. The design of the house as Rock Set mentioned is very important. If it is a box that is not too bad. If it is all cut up that takes more time. Normally a house that size is not a box, typically. Depending on the size of bucket and experience level I would plan on a day.
  6. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

This is kind-of an aside, but kinda not. I did a job, followed directions and did the job per my contract and agreement. This job was for an International Company that makes jet motors and they just spent 35 million upgrading this one building I was hired to work on........They are a BIG DAWG in anyones book.......well, here's the gig.......I worked for the Sparky and set these vaults per their directions and specs and now they are settling with the new transformers on them that power this new building. They are trying to put the fix on me ( approx $25K). I had a "feeling" about I took pictures all the way through the job and got signed off on each phase all the way to completion. The Sparky foreman thought I was an a**( which I am) by having him sign all that stuff and stand in the pictures with a tape measure and time/date stamp. Well, I presented my little folder of pictures and sign-offs today and I am off the hook for even a portion of the deal. So, back to your dig........get the bench mark, depth, and all the specifics in writing and could be your bacon that you save. I never knew how valuable a $125 camera could really be.........for me it has been worth $25,000.......