How long to get response from postcards?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by anothertractor, May 27, 2005.

1. anothertractor

anothertractor LawnSite Member

I dropped 1750 postcards in the mail on 5/24 and have had very little response. I went with the Postal Parton route instead of buying a mailing list so I know that a lot of them went strait into the trash. I have only had one call so far and have not been able to speak with her yet. I am just wondering how long I should wait before "stating results" Does anyone have any input to offer with this?

Thanks

2. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Some of it will depend on if the grass was already active at that time. The hotter it gets the less attractive it is for homeowners to do work outside. Most of hte clients you would pick up would most likely have been right away. They sort their mail very similar to you. I don't even look at junk mail, goes into the shreader instantly. One way to stop that is to use the 3 dimensional ads. I got one of a jeep from a local car dealer, was annoying since it wouldn't go into the shreader but it did get my attention and I still remember which dealer and what it was so it was partially effective.

3. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

I think it depends upon what services you are offering on that postcard. Is it just for grass cutting? At this time of the year, a good portion of the clients already have long had their lawn service in place.... so unless they are really unhappy with their current provider, why would they call you now? I know everyone says advertise year round, but the bulk of our customers are picked up each year in early spring. I think if you are looking to pick up a boatload of grass clients, advertise earlier next year.
    Sure some people will hold onto the postcard, but a lot of people will call immediately if they want service.

4. anothertractor

anothertractor LawnSite Member

My postcard shows my services as mowing, fert application, pesticides, fall and spring cleanups, hauling stone, mulch and planting. It is really a generic card and my first pass at it. I am thinking about going full time next year so I thought that I would probably have more potential customers if I did it at this time of the year as opposed to not this year at all. I know that a lot of people enjoy being outside, LCOs and home owners. I figured that with the thermometer rising that the scrubs might throw in the towel as well as some homeowners deciding that they cannot hack it. I figured it was worth a try , knowing that 8 weeks ago would have been much better time. The cards just weren't ready. The postage was only 12 cents each so I let em fly.

Thanks