1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How long to grind a stump

Discussion in 'Fertilizers, Pesticides and Diseases' started by Guest, Aug 16, 2012.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

If you plan on "Just backing up and going to town" you are in for a very rude awakening. I sounds like the stumps are very high. Height and width = time. I used to run a 120 hp machine and it would take out a pine stump flush to he ground 2.5-3 feet in diameter in 7 minutes. Now this was a very well maintained machine (the rental may not be), and they were pine stumps. What speicies is your stumps? That will have a huge factor pine vs. oak. IF you flush the stumps and you are very efficient with the grinder (most people are not) I would expect an hour to hour and a half each... TO GRIND. Now do you need to clean them up? Why so deep? 18" is a long way down. Best bet I think, charge by the hour. Rent the machine for the day, add your fee and divide by 8 (if you think you can get it done in a day). Safest way. Good luck
  2. Guest

Guest Guest

O.K. full disclosure. I run a small landscape/lawncare company. We have had one of the worst droughts EVER this year in Indy. Normally I would not take this job on but...

5 large stumps about a foot or two tall and 4-5 feet across. I can rent a 60HP diesel that hooks to the back of my truck. I then back up to the stump and go to town. Should only need to go 12-18 inches deep. How long can I expect each stump to take? I can rent the machine for about $375 for a day. Can I get these done in an hr a piece with this type of machine? I have run small 20hp grinders and muscled decent size stumps say 24in across but this is a whole new ballgame!

Thanks for having a forum for this type of question!

I am a member on lawnsite and really enjoy sharing and collecting knowledge.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

I charge about $4.00 per inch of stump diameter, measured across the largest part of the stump. With a 60hp machine, you should be able to grind a 48 incher in about a half hour. Like squirrel says, cut the stumps to ground level with a saw first, and save a bunch of time. Otherwise, you will be fighting your grinding pile the whole way.