How long to lay sod?????

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by horseman201, Dec 19, 2005.

1. horseman201

horseman201 LawnSite Member

I have around 11,000 square feet of sod to lay and wanted to know how long it will take. There is not much to go around besides about 9 large oak trees. The rest is open. I have put down very small areas of sod but not this much. Prep work is already done. I tried to search this topic but could not get the search to go through. Any help would be great.

2. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

I'd guess around 5 or 6 hours to lay it with 2 people, maybe less. Then use your stick edger to trim the edges.

3. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

That looks like 22 pallets, so I think it would be alot more than 10-12 man hours. My guess would be 25-30 man hours @ whatever you need to make per man hour.

4. The Cowboy

The Cowboy LawnSite Senior Member

With a job like this i'd use about 2 helpers, itll probably be aroung 15-18 manhours. A good 6 hours 'll probably do the trick for the crew. I don't know how you bid it, but when I do it I charge about 4-5 bucks per roll installed for that much. It'll make me about 3500 bucks profit, give or take, thats alot better'n doing it per hour.

5. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't think that it is realistic to expect someone who has not done big sos jobs to lay 11,000 SF of so in one day with two helpers. Plan on at least a day and a half.

6. RedWingsDet

from Detroit

I dont see how it'd take 8hours or more. With 2 people, and the pallets in the right place, you can eaisly do 2000feet per hour

7. Lawnworks

from usa

$3500 profit w/ no prep work??? I was thinking about $1500 labor at the most

8. Lawnworks

from usa

That would be great, but I would bid for at least 24 man hours.

9. RedWingsDet

from Detroit

I'd bid it per sq foot. More money that way.

10. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

i would also estimate qround 20 hours....

we lay big rolls with the dingo... a helper and i can lay 1K yards in less than a day.