1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

how long to load with a leaf loader

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jkkalbers, Aug 29, 2004.

1. jkkalbers

jkkalbers LawnSite Member

Just Curious to know how long it takes people to load say a 2 cu. yd pile of leaves with there leaf loader. Please tell me how long when they are dry vs wet. Also, if sticks get into the pile how do the machines handle them. let me know what horse power you are using also. Thanks.
    I did a search on this and I couldn't really find what I was looking for.

2. jkkalbers

bringing back to the top.

3. mowin at the lake

mowin at the lake LawnSite Member

If the leaves are dry and not mulched 2-3 minutes
    if they are mulched 5 minutes
    if they are wet 7-8 minutes

4. Stripe This

Stripe This LawnSite Member

That's about right....2-3 mins if they are dry. We use a 16 hp Vanguard engine (Billy Goat) w/ the larger intake hose, think it's 10 inches, maybe 12.

5. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

Yeah, 2-4 minutes depending on the moisture content. Around here, we have mostly Oak and Maples to vac up, and when they are dry and crispy, the Trac Vac makes short work of big piles. We usually go blow all the leaves to the curbs / drives, and then go back the next morning and suck up all the properties in one day. Small sticks aren't usually a problem, if there's one across the intake hose, pull it out of the way or snap it and suck it up.

6. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

That sounds about right. Here is a couple pics of some bermuda grass that I scalped and suck up. It took about 20-25 minutes. I would say the estimates that were given above are pretty accurate.

pile(1).jpg

7. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I would say that this equalled about about 10-12 cubic yards. It was vacummed with a 16hp Lesco leaf loader.

pile(2).jpg

8. jkkalbers

Thanks guys, I appreciate the response. Some good information.