1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How long to Mow 51 acres

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Zetsch, Aug 15, 2012.

1. bln

bln LawnSite Senior Member

I used to do 25 acres with 2 60's and a trimmer in 3-4 hours depending on the conditions. Then i got smart and would drop a guy off to mow and go do other things with my trimmer guy. 5.1/2 hours later show back up and two would whip and one would blow. It turned out to be a great system.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  2. inHaliburton

inHaliburton LawnSite Member

Ask him if you can cut one or 2 acres and time it, then do the math...
  3. Realslowww

Realslowww LawnSite Bronze Member

You should get a couple 72's, I have a 72 and a 60 Super and 60's suck! SLOW!
  4. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

Figure it out first time and money. HIs $75K could be good deal?? IF you get it, go to ebay, bid on a WAM or tri deck mower if you have a tractor with the ponies. I have a 50 acre site - two wams. In and out. I have done it with a 72 front mount mowers and no way, slow, man time etc.
  5. Realslowww

Realslowww LawnSite Bronze Member

I have read on this site where people have figured out 2 15 MPH 72 z's are more productive than their batwing 15 footers and here locally where I live I just talked to a outfit a few weeks ago and they use 72 inch Supers ganged in 2 and say it is more cost effective and faster than the batwing setups they have.

Not all mowers are created equal.
  6. beaureguard

beaureguard LawnSite Member

Who could mow at 15mph? Seems like that would beat the crap out of the machine!

I have mowed 15-20 acres with a 61" ztr - it took me 12+ hrs, not sure on the speed. I now use a 12" mower behind a tractor and it is 6 1/2hrs mowing at 4mph. I do understand that even 1 60" mowing at 8 mph might equal the time, but the beating the operator will take is much more. If big open spaces, I would take the tractor any day. And the trimming can take as much as 20/trimming. But trimming can vary from property to property.
  7. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

Our Deere salesman told us the same thing. He sold new 72's to 2 schools and 2 towns, they traded in their batwings for the 72's because they were faster and more maneuverable. As for the OP my guess would be 6-8 hours. If it really is a good money making account spend the money and buy a couple 72's, they will probably save you 3 hours per mow.
  8. jsslawncare

jsslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

Go watch the guy that does it now and see how long it takes him. Also check out what he's using to cut with.
  9. SP Landscaping

SP Landscaping LawnSite Member

10. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

15 MPH is hauling on anything but Sports Fiields and Greens.

I would think 2 AC an hour is fairly aggressive per 60" machine

That would be 12 hours per mowing with 2 machines the OP owns.

36 mowings or is it irrigatated?

Lets say you put 3 guys on it, one for trash and whipping.

12 X 3 Guys 36 hours a visit
    36X 36 X $50= 64,800

36 X 44 visits X 50 = $79,200

There is room there for sure as $50 an hour for mowers is high IMHO. You also need some fudge factor as well. Particularly since 2 AC per hour per machine is some what aggressive