How long to mow 8 acres

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by slawn, Jan 24, 2007.

1. slawn

slawn LawnSite Senior Member

How long to mow 8 acres with a 52" ztr. Very few trees, pretty much wide open.

thanx

2. rotgg

rotgg LawnSite Member

2.5 to 3 hours

3. dekalb lawn man

dekalb lawn man LawnSite Member

What kind of ztr do you have. Most come with a chart of some sort. I have a Ferris IS 2000 with a 61" deck and I can do about 3.5 -4.0 acres an hour on most properties even though the manual says up tp 5.1. I probably could hit 5 per hour in a completly open area with no hills or anything of that nature.

4. slawn

slawn LawnSite Senior Member

I'll be using a 2005 exmark, I had figured about 4.5 hours. Just wanted to see what some of you guys though, I'm not used to mowing anything this big. :waving:

5. desii

desii LawnSite Member

Not that I can help with at 52" cut, but I currently cut and 8 acre property in an hour.

However.....I'm using a Jacobsen HR5111 with an 11' cut...Not for every property out there, but nice on the larger ones.

6. mowers1

mowers1 LawnSite Member

For Biding Go With 50% Of Rated, Usualy About 4-4.5 Acre Per Hour Depending On Machine Deck And Speed - Just To Cover Turns And Debris Pick Up.
    Remember That When Mowing You Will Have More Overlap The Faster You Drive And Will Loose More Time With Riders In Turns Than With Stand On Units. Also Hills And Trash Pick Up Will Slow You Depending On Site.
    To Figure Mowing Capacity With Your Mower And You Driving -instead Of Some Spec Based On Mowing Under Power Lines-
    Just Measure Out An Area Similar To You Rugular Terrain - 1000 Square Feet Is Easy To Work With - Try 20' By 50' To Get In A Lot Of Turns And Throw In Some Trees Or Trash To Make It Realistic. - Run It At Full Out Then Try Again Without Tearing Up Turf - Average The Times Together Then Multiply By 43 (an Acre Is 43'560 Sq Ft) This Will Give You True Time It Takes You To Produce 1 Acre With Your Equipment.
    Just Dont Forget To Calc In For Load Up And Gas Up Time To Cover Your True Expense.

7. timmac

timmac LawnSite Senior Member

52 inch exmark about 3 hours.