How long to put the new grass seed?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Dexster, Jun 3, 2007.

1. Dexster

Dexster LawnSite Member
    from USA

After you've killed all the weeds, small brushes, etc... from your lawn. How long do I have to wait to put the seed on it?

Last year my dad did the same thing and the grasses really green but it only last for a few months then again the weed and other junk plants started to grow and killed our grasses :-(.

I know many of you have experienced in this field. So could you please share some skills or technique like step by step and which products work the best.

Another word, I want to start all over again with a new lawn

Thanks

2. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

It is always a good idea to rough up the soil to prepare the seed bed. Distribute the seed and keep it wet. Weeds do not generally kill grass if properly watered and mowed. Most weeds can't handle mowing. If you have a perennial already like creeping charlie, that will kill grass.
    Read the instructions of what you sprayed with and see how long it sits in the soil. If grass germinates and grows you have it. Don't start spraying chemicals on it the first year. Even the broadleaf killers stress the grasses.
    .rick.

3. Gruneich Lawn Care Inc.

Gruneich Lawn Care Inc. LawnSite Senior Member
    from SD

round up is a systemic killer, it stays in the root system of the plants and does not go into the soil. I have seen guys spray lawns in the morning with round up, and come back in the afternoon, and run a harley rake over it, then plant it. I asked my fertilizer dealer, and he said, spray it, wait till a couple hours till dry, then plant it.

4. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

To be on the safe side I would say wait a day or 2 and then you will be ok. JMO

5. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

Glyphosate does go into the soil, but becomes bound to the soil particles and breaks down. It does not move through the soil.