1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

    Dismiss Notice

How Long To Wait After Fertilizer Application?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Nullqwerty, Aug 20, 2013.

  1. greendoctor

    greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic
    Posts: 8,806

    What is less likely to give someone E. coli, Listeria, Staphylococcus, Salmonella, or any number of parasites? Don't ever "come now" me. You hear? A child would have to eat fertilizer straight out of the bag or drink from the end of the spray hose to have a problem. DON"T EVER "come now" ME. I am talking about pathogens and parasites.
     
  2. greendoctor

    greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic
    Posts: 8,806

    Don't know how other kids are raised, but I was told to stay away from recently sprayed areas when I was a kid. The fact that parents will not do that any more is the very reason why the EPA sees it fit to relabel most of the pesticides so they may not be used on lawns and landscapes. There is too much exposure to children contacting recently treated grass. Of course there are always some jackwagons who let their kids on a lawn with spots of blue marker, realize it is a pesticide, then call every state agency. Keep your kids off of sprayed areas!
     
  3. wildstarblazer

    wildstarblazer LawnSite Senior Member
    Posts: 978

    So spreading compost is not completely safe either?
     
  4. Smallaxe

    Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic
    Posts: 10,081

    Manure runoff into lakes and stream should've ended years ago... Most runoff into lakes and streams come from storm sewers in urban areas...
    The idea that natural fertilizers are a health hazard is a pretty wide stretch in the propaganda dept.,,, assuming of course. that one is not stirring up dust clouds with it and breathing it into their lungs... :)
     
  5. Smallaxe

    Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic
    Posts: 10,081

    The e-coli, listeria etc. are found in food processing plants, raw manure straight from the animal, but never heard of it being in compost... anyone else???
     
  6. Kiril

    Kiril LawnSite Fanatic
    Posts: 18,298

    I won't ever "come now" you GD if you don't make ignorant statements like that which does nothing more than misleads your less informed peers and insults the more informed ones. You are better and more intelligent than that. And since we are in the reprimanding mood, don't you ever patronize ME, you hear?

    But since you are talking about pathogens/parasites, what particular products specifically are you talking about? Compost, corn mean, bone meal, feather meal, etc ..... ? Or are you just talking about raw shiit? Should we also stop eating vegetables and meat as these can also carry these harmful organisms?

    Here's a list of OMRI products for you. Please let us know which products we should avoid due to these harmful organisms.

    http://www.omri.org/sites/default/files/opl_pdf/crops_alpha.pdf

    As an example, perhaps the OP is concerned about his children picking up and eating the pretty blue fertilizer pellets he just put all over the lawn that look like candy? How many of those can they eat before becoming ill?
     
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  7. RAlmaroad

    RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC
    Posts: 2,160

    Kiril:
    Greendoctor has constantly given great help to many many members here. His advise is based on tried methods, proven rates, and many efforts with learned experts in turf. I very seldom seeing you giving nothing but, websites, hateful words or advise to people way across the country without regard for soil conditions, type or turf species. All of which enter into a decision. Re-read Greendoctor's comments. Oftentimes it seems that you are just trying to rack up the most posts of anyone. As a parent and teacher, no parent would allow their child at the age to wonder about much less out onto a lawn. You might! Or is that just another of your insights. I've never seen any pretty blue FERTILIZER much less it tasting like candy. Good Lord, get real and keep useless comments for yourself to mull over.
     
  8. Kiril

    Kiril LawnSite Fanatic
    Posts: 18,298

    Never said he didn't, did I? In fact, I think GD gives the most spot on advice of just about anyone who contributes to this website. That said, when he compares table salt and swimming in the ocean to synthetic fertilizers, stating it is no more hazardous than .... well he is wrong. You don't like me pointing it out .... tough. I'm sure he and you will get over it.

    Funny, cause I have a bag of pretty blue fertilizer sitting in my garage right now, and I never said it tasted like candy I said it looked like candy. But don't let that stop you from making statements about me you have no hope of ever substantiating and putting words in my mouth. :clapping:
     
  9. phasthound

    phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member
    Posts: 4,560

    Nothing is completely safe. Spreading properly finished compost will expose you to little risk of disease, but you might severely hurt your back. Spreading unfinished compost may expose you to pathogens.
     
  10. Skipster

    Skipster LawnSite Bronze Member
    Posts: 1,074

    I was intrigued by your proposed exercise, so I looked it up. According to Morton's Salt, common table salt (NaCl) has an LD50 acute oral toxicity to rats of 3,000 mg/kg. According to Agrium, 46-0-0 urea fertilizer (CO(NH2)2) has an LD50 acute oral toxicity to rats of 14,300 mg/kg.

    As I'm sure you're aware, when an LD50 value is lower, it means that less of the material is needed to kill half of test population and is often used as a measure of toxicity.

    A scan of the MSDS shows that common table salt is more toxic than urea fertilizer.
     

Share This Page