How long to wait to mow after overseeding??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mrusk, Apr 16, 2006.

1. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

One of my customers wants me to over seed this week. I know it makes more sense to do it in the fall, but he wants it done now. There is a chance for rain on fri, sat, sun, and monday. So i am planning on mowing shorter than normal on wednesday, then going back on thrusday to aerate and overseed. After i overseed how long should i wait to mow? Will 10 days be enough? Part of the lawn is getting slit seeded. The lawn is to big to slit the whole thing.

I just don't want to mow the lawn to soon and hurt the grass, but i don't want it to become a jungle either.

2. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

I'm guessing this is fescue. If so, I wouldn't mow until the homeowner couldn't stand it.:) Seriously, I'd let it get at least 6" high or more and then cut it no shorter than 4". You'd be surprised how much a ztr can pull up seedlings just from the suction of the blades. Water, water, water.......
  3. jpmako

jpmako LawnSite Senior Member

Like you said this is not the optimal time to overseed, but sometimes it cannot be avoided. I have done about 25 renovations last week (some aerated and overseeded, and some with the slit seeder) I would probably wait about three weeks to cut if you can. Make sure you put down a good starter fertilizer and also instruct the client to at the very least keep the seedbed moist. Depending on the soil conditions, seed type and the watering habits of the client germination should be in approximately 7- 14 days. If you are cutting these lawns I would try to use a 21" or at the most a walk-behind. Stay away from heavy mowers like ZTR's for a month or so.

Hope this helps,

4. mrusk

Uh this lawn is 90k sq ft. I am not going to mow it with a 21in. It will not be watered!!!

Should i really talk the customer out of this or what? If you belive i should, what facts should i use to back up my argument?
  5. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

You will be wasting your time if you don't wait 2 weeks to mow it. Yes you will have to use a small mower!!! Tell him to wait till fall!!!!:nono:
  6. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

if it doesn't get watered then he has just wasted $500, enough said
  7. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

Very true, if he is not going to water it your wasting your time and his money!!
  8. mrusk

So if its not going to be watered would it be better to do in the fall?
  9. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

2 acres with the right seed sliced in and a little rain and you can mow in 3 wks.
    I would tell him that it needs to be done ASAP to catch the spring rains and I woulds slice it in. Cost would be more for the customer but the results would be worth it. Here's a close up of what slicing should look like when its done.
  10. jpmako

jpmako LawnSite Senior Member