How long until home owners will not hire Fert Companies

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by RABBITMAN11, Mar 6, 2008.

1. RABBITMAN11

RABBITMAN11 LawnSite Bronze Member

How do you think it will be before Home owners just can't pay to have lawns treated?

2. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

What are you asking?

3. RABBITMAN11

Due to the cost of gas and fert prices, Will this finally end in customers not being able to afford hiring a lawn service

4. wiseguyslawn

wiseguyslawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

most clients have the money where I feel will always have their lawn done professionally. However, we may start to lose middle class customers, although i seen at the home depot a bag of scotts fert is running 41.00 so the do it yourself cost will rise along with our cost. Plus a lot of people realize they have the potential to mis apply their products along with not providing liquid apps for pre and post emergents for optinum control

5. RABBITMAN11

I hope that is the case! 98% of our customers are fert accounts!
    I just think in the long run the fert manufacturing plants have to step back and wonder if the price jumps 40-60 % in a year will we loose money! because people just won't pay those prices.

6. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

I was scared to death this winter that I would lose accounts and not do well in picking up new ones.

So far...I have only lost three accounts, but have picked up 11 accounts since Jan 1.

And I haven't even started marketing yet.

I think we will be fine.

7. RABBITMAN11

I think I lost 4-5 But we still have snow on the ground here! So hopefully
    I get new customers this year! Last year we picked up 50plus I sure hope it is the same as last year

8. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

In my area, I can see a day when home owners won't be allowed to buy chemical ferts... it's a long ways off, but I can see it coming.

If gas goes up, so does everything else. We are a fossil fuel based economy. That means inflation. I don't see the price of ferts hurting us all that much... profit might take some short term hits, but people who want nice properties will continue to pay to have them. The price of gas hasn't caused any noticable decrease in the number of new SUV's around here. Maybe more of them are 6 cylinder engines, but they are still gas hogs.

When people stop buying SUV's, it will be time to worry.

9. RABBITMAN11

If fert prices,and gas prices jump 40-60 percent every year I am sure it hurt the business

10. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

i think if you are reasonally priced you will be ok this year at least. we raised 10% and only lost two so far but already gained like 10. and we haven't got to spring yet when everyone calls. we did good with our raise rcreech!!!!!! anywho. you may lose the folks that could barely affrod it anyway and that is ok, they need to look after theri families. i had one guy that got laid off and he had to cancel, but i know when he finds a new job he will be back.