How long until Merit w/fert combo needs to be watered in

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by mikesturf, Jun 13, 2008.

1. mikesturf

mikesturf LawnSite Senior Member

First, yes I'm licensed and insured and the bag label only states that the fert with Merit must be watered in. My question is how long can you wait until the Merit degrades from sunlight? I know some of my customers never water their lawn, so I want to time my app with forecasted rain. However, if a forecast is incorrect and no rain comes, will the Merit last until the next rain?

2. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

Too bad you are not from OH....as you would have an opportunity almost everyday for it to get rained in! :laugh:

3. PSUTURFGEEK

PSUTURFGEEK LawnSite Senior Member

The label should say a 1/4 inch of rain within the first 24-48 hours of application, this also applies to a liqued merit treatment. I have had apps that didn't get moisture other than morning dew for a couple of weeks with no breakthrough but that doesn't mean the merit worked it may just mean the lawn had no active grub problems.

4. tlg

tlg LawnSite Senior Member

That's the million dollar question. We all know that customers rarely follow our watering instructions. In fact I would say unless they have an sprinkler system there is a good chance they never water. Which means a whole lot of Merit is being applied and never being watered in. Unless of course it rains after the application. If you go by the label Merit should be watered in period. I guess that means right after the application. A Dept of Ag agent here in Michigan back in March at a meeting told us that if Merit was not watered in by the applicator it was a label violation. That's what the label says "watered in " not who should water. She was dead serious about this . This could really open up a can of worms as far as label compliance. I can tell you that we have treated a whole lot of lawns with Merit and a whole lot never got watered following the application. The possibility of grub break through is always there, and I have seen this happen on a very limited basis. I am sure that there is a study out there somewhere about this very issue. You have got me curious about this. I'm going to look into it further.

5. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

I include an Imidacloprid treatment at the heavy rate for all my customers... and still saw multiple billbug problems last year. Out here everyone's sprinklers are automatic - so they don't touch them, no matter how desperately you plead. But most lawns can't go more than 3 days without water (and most homeowners water too frequently). So, assuming mine were watered within 24-72 hours, with the vast majority being watered within 48 hours, I would say that the volatility of this product in sunlight is extreme...

Also, I used a generic product - which might have bit me in the butt...

6. Mscotrid

Mscotrid LawnSite Bronze Member
    from USA

If your concerned about customers not watering consider using Mach 2. Mach 2 still needs to be irrigated b4 it becomes active but can remain on the turf for a longer duration without showing signs of UV degradation. I personally do not worry about whether my customers have irrigation and I certainly do not wait for the weather to show signs of rain b4 i apply. My customers are routed my convenience and I'll leave watering instruction if they so choose to follow if not that is there issue not mine. With all of our cost rising I have to stay on track and cannot afford to go back later to a lawn just because it "might" rain later.

7. PSUTURFGEEK

PSUTURFGEEK LawnSite Senior Member

Mach2 does claim it doesn't need to be watered in, but I still believe it works better when watered in, If you talk to your'e Dow rep they will more than likely tell you it may be a product they are looking to remove in the next year or two, they said they are losing entirely to much money trying to keep up with Merit and allectus pricing, not to mention it never really sold well to begin with.

8. heritage

heritage LawnSite Bronze Member

If you do use Mach II, don't use the Liquid as the photo-breakdown is Rapid!

Use the Granular,as they fall under the canopy of turf, and are shaded there.

PSU, I hope Dow keeps the Granular as it works super for me .

Pete

9. mikesturf

mikesturf LawnSite Senior Member

I'm never going to use Mach II again-used it last year (granular) and had grub damage on 25% of lawns treated! Just wondering is anyone knows, FOR SURE, how much degradation Merit with fert gets if it sits on a lawn for a certain amount of time.

10. tlg

tlg LawnSite Senior Member

We also used Mach II last season and had some problems with break through . We were in a drought most of the summer. We had very little rain during our entire preventative grub applications. I'm sure this reduced the effectiveness of the product. The label says " immediate watering is not needed" but it still needs to be watered in. I once heard that after 2 weeks without watering the application would be compromised. Can't back that up though. Can't remember who said it. Still trying to find info on Merit break down if not watered. Since the label says it must be watered, you can bet Merit would be less effective if it's not watered in soon.