How Long Until You Made Money?

Discussion in 'Industry Surveys & Polls' started by Trinity Lawn Care LLC, Nov 4, 2006.

?

How long before you started making money?

1. 1-2 years

92 vote(s)
    58.6%
  2. 3-4 years

50 vote(s)
    31.8%
  3. 5-6 years

7 vote(s)
    4.5%
  4. 7-8 years

4 vote(s)
    2.5%
  5. 9-10+ years

4 vote(s)
    2.5%
  1. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

Trinity Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

There have been quite a few threads recently about how much money someone is making, can I make enough money, etc. I was thinking that it may be useful information to take a different approach and to do a poll to help these folks out. I believe that the true question is "Can one make a living doing this?" and then the next would be "O.k. now what do I have to do?" and then "How long will it take me?" The answer to the first question: Yes, you can make a good living doing this. The answer to the second question is: Education, and then work at it. The third, I was thinking that we could do a poll to give an average.

2. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

Money? Whats that. I am still waiting to make money.
    However, The truck, cell phone, house, property, equiptment, trailer, 4 wheeler, and many other things are written off. I make a meager wage that allows me to do what I want to do when I want to do it.

3. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

Trinity Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

From the response to the poll is seems that most folks (almost 60%) were making money within the first two years of business.

I will be honest and say that we are not really rolling in the money and we are finishing up our second year. We have tripled in sales since last year, and customer service was a key factor this year. On paper it all looks good, but expenses increased as well. I do feel that there is light at the end of the tunnel. I mean the bills are paid, and there is some money left over, but nothing to write home about.

Hats off to those that did it within the first couple of years. I am guessing that we will start making decent money (What we keep) within the next couple of years. Right now we are investing most of what we make back in to the company.

4. wowmowwow

wowmowwow LawnSite Member

5 yrs worth of mowing part time and the early years were the good life becuase i pocketed all the money. now my dream has come true with the no bells no whistles 2006 v6 fullsize truck, a 2006 56" zero turn and now im waiting on my paycheck. going fulltime in 2007. thanks

5. DodgeTruckMan731

DodgeTruckMan731 LawnSite Senior Member

How much money does it take before your making money?

6. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

Being in the black and not the red. so .01 is making money. Making a living is another thing.

7. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

Can you make a living doing this: Yes
    Now, what do you have to do: If you are going to do what everyone else is doing, you better do it better or with a different slant or approach that makes you more desirable for one reason or another. For me, I looked at the market I wanted to enter....asked alot of questions ( from alot of guys in here) and found a section of that market where there was a void......so, I set myself up to fill that void or niche market and focused on strictly that.
    Within 6 months, I was rolling and to date I have so much work I have a hard time meeting the demand. One of my cardinal rules though, is when I start a job I stay there until I am finished, I show up at the appointed time and if by chance I can't I call and stay in communication. It is Nov and I am booked up through December and we could work 7 days a week if we wanted.
    I am making more than "just a living". I am getting bigger by staying small, flexible and mobil. I could not be more pleased.

8. jsf343

jsf343 LawnSite Bronze Member

Good for you! I am glad to hear someone is doing well. Any other secrets or advice you want to throw out? I like to hear and learn from those who are successful. You can learn a lot from those who are not as well. Right now I am having mixed results. Hope to do better next year.

9. noseha

noseha LawnSite Senior Member
    from MI

I buy too much equipment to make money.

10. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Ins't that a big key thing you have to do? You have to invest a lot into a business to get good turn around! You have to spend some cash to make some cash, (keyword being some and not everything) JMO