How long will a mixed herbicide last?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by toxic man, Nov 13, 2004.

1. toxic man

toxic man LawnSite Member

I have been wondering, how long after mixing up a solution, say msma or even round up, will the solution last before it looses it's efficacy?

What personal experiences do you all have?

As always, thanks
    lou
    Weed solutions

2. kickin sum grass

kickin sum grass LawnSite Senior Member

I have had round up freeze overwinter in a tank and then use it in the spring and work just fine.
    Broadleafs seem to loose power after a few days, sometimes I might spike it if it happens to sit around for much longer than that.
    The big one I have had problems with is Primo Maxx. It looses power fast. I try to make sure I use it all in one day. I can notice a difference if it has been sitting for a day.
    Msma, drive, manage all seem to do ok after a couple of days.
    As with any mix sitting it is very important to mix it up well before using.

3. Rtom45

Rtom45 LawnSite Senior Member

I believe you can get more exact information from the label of the chemicals you are using. If not the label, then the little booklet that comes with chemicals when you purchase them.

4. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

the answer here is pretty sophisticated. i know the answer, but, 99 out of 100 people will not know how to answer this question. i assume ric, maybe runner, and turfdude has an outside chance at getting it right.

5. trying 2b organic

trying 2b organic LawnSite Senior Member

I dont know the answer but would love to. There is nothing on the label, from the label and supplier they can only say things like "proper disposal" which when pressed translates into dump whereever. I dont really want to dump a leftover half gallon, I would rather keep and re-use.
    I mostly use 3 way and roundup, need tips and experience on shelf life.

6. bobbygedd

from NJ

well, where is the mighty ant killer? he has to know. he must know.

7. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

BooBy Sweetheart

The might Ant Killer would love to answer the question. However I prefer to stay away from broad based question. There are many factor in how long a chemical retains it efficacy. Manage the herbicide will stay viable for about 4 hours after mixing. Carbamate insecticide might stay viable for several weeks.

8. bobbygedd

from NJ

give me one factor ric, just one. in fact, give me the factor that matters MOST in the active life span of a pesticide mixed from concentrate. this factor can cause the lifespan to be as low as EIGHT SECONDS!!!

9. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

BooBy Almost

That would be the inverse proportion of the Hydrogen Ion.

10. bobbygedd

from NJ

aha ha ha ha. HE DOESN'T KNOW!! i am the new king of the pesticide forum!!!!! from this point on, there will be a surcharge for any questions answered. good day