How long will it take to aereate yard?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Bob E, Sep 20, 2005.

1. Bob E

Bob E LawnSite Member

I'm hoping to aereate and overseed this weekend. Yard is approx 30,000 ft2.

I was hoping to rent the aerator after work on Friday. How long should it take me (since I've never used it before). I'd have about 3 hours of daylight after I got home, is that enough time?

I'm supposed be picking up 60 bags of compost Saturday AM to spread over the entire yard.

Another question, should I spread the seed then the compost or vise versa?

2. Threxx

Threxx LawnSite Member

I'd like to know this too. And also where the heck I can rent one of these things??:D

I've been calling equipment rental places all over Memphis by searching the yellow pages but to no avail. A couple of places had aerators, but I also want a top-dresser and overseeder. No dice so far.

In my post below I was trying to hire somebody on this board from the Memphis area to do it but haven't seen any interest so far so I guess I might as well start figuring out how to do it myself.

3. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

How long it takes to do this job depends upon a few factors. If this property is flat and without many obstacles you shouldn't have trouble. Most of the aerators can be idled down for a nice slow walk, but if you're in a hurry, you can speed them up to a nice gallop. But, if your property is laid out in an irregular shape, with islands of trees or plants, hills or furrows, surface tree roots, and so on, your time can easily double - just like it can when mowing. For whatever its worth, aeration generally goes faster than dethatching.

Renting anything can be frustrating at times, Threxx. I install irrigation systems and have tried to rent a vibratory plow out here for line installation without having to trench up existing turf, but I can't find anyone who rents these. Back in your neck of the woods it seems as if using these plows are commonplace. Go figure... And, strange enough, but out at our local landfill and recycling yard we can rent topdressers.

4. Bob E

Bob E LawnSite Member

What about my question as to whther to spread the compost before or after spreading the grass seed?

I think I will spread the seed then rake out the compost as uniform as possible. That should give the seed a better chance for soil contact, but I'm afraid the compost may "bury" the seed too deep in the holes caused by the aerator.

5. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

I've seen yards where the only place that the grass grew were in the holes created by the aerator. No matter how you look at it, it can be tough trying to spread compost evenly over grass seed by hand, machines can do much better. Doing a good job of raking grass seed into compost isn't an easy chore either. Personally, if I'm just reseeding over fairly decent soil, I'd just topdress the seed with a thin layer of fine compost or peat.

With 30,000 s.f. of turf you would be better off renting a topdresser or spreader for the compost, and hopefully the material is fine enough to be spead mechanically.