How long will it take to lay 10k of sod?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by big_country, Aug 27, 2007.

1. big_country

big_country LawnSite Member

I am usually a seeding kind of guy, but have a client that wants to sod. The lawn is about 10,000 square feet, how long does it take two guys to lay that much sod?

2. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

You're looking at 23 pallets(if 450sq ft per pallet).
    Are you just laying,or is there prep involved?
    How will you move the sod from one location to another?
    Honestly,two guys isn't enough for sod laying.The more hands you have,the easier it will be.
    We just laid 3600 sq ft(8 pallets) this weekend.4 guys and it took 12 hours.We had to prep the area (tilling,raking out dead grass,grading).Also did some irrigation repair while there, which bumped us up to 15 hours.
    If we had just been laying the sod(2 men throwing sod/2 men laying) we could have been done in about 7 hours.There wasn't a square edge anywhere on the lot.Every edge had to be cut to match the flower beds.

I'd say,with two of you,about 4 days to lay 23 pallets.

3. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

without knowing all the details I would guess about 14 minutes give or take 2 days.

4. would that be 8 or 10 hour days. :dancing:

5. Stillwater

Without the details I guess it would be 10 hour days give or take 5 or 10 minutes.

6. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

with the pallet reasonable close to where you need it, you should be able to lay a pallet an hour. If you have load the sod onto wheel barrows and move it around that way. better double it...

Assuming all prep work is done...

I used a stick edger to cut all my sod after its all laid. No messing with machete's or shovels until its all done. A bit more waste, but probably a wash with the increased efficiency...

7. Stillwater

I used to use a razor knife but i do it your way now 10 times as fast

8. GreenT

GreenT LawnSite Fanatic

You need 6 guys, two days.

9. big_country

big_country LawnSite Member

I know how long the prep work is going to take, you prep the same way you would to seed. The customer is trying to decide on sod or seed and I need to show him the difference in the price. I just need to know how long it will take to straight lay the sod after prep work is done. It is a corner lot so the pallets would be fairly close, if not it could be loaded in the bucket and moved. Someone said about 8 to 10 hours, thats what I was leaning towards, but never laid much sod.

10. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

st augutine and Bahia just laugh at razoe knives....the machete worked great and then oen day I laid the sod not really caring about the bed lines and then came back with the edger...., nice smooth lines...