1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How long will my machines last?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by DAVELAWN, Oct 23, 2005.

DAVELAWN LawnSite Member
    from MASS

I have a few 23hp Wright Standers. I am pretty good about maintenance...my 2 older machines have about 1000 hrs on them. Local mechanic told me that what usually goes on the machines is the engines, because of non maintenance. Instead of selling one of my older machines and upgrading to a new one at the price of 7 grand, I decided to have him go through the whole machine.....at worst case he said it will cost 1000 per machine, much less if the spindles are okay......I am thinking I made the right decision to do this...or did I not. 7 grand is alot of money, especially when each machine only gets about 300 hrs per year......
  2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

I really don't see the point in a upgrade for such less hour use. Unless there is a major problem with the unit the only things I see are belts, Wheel bearings and spindle bearings. Way less than any 1000.00 bucks if it needed all. Most engines can go as much as 3000 hrs. or more if taken care of properly.
  3. MBDiagMan

MBDiagMan LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with restrorob in that it should not be as high as $1000, but even if it is you are on the right track. I think that maintaining for and planning for your machines to go 3,000 hours is a good plan.

How long they will last is determined by how well they are maintained AND your luck. Also will be determined by how carefully they are operated. The owner of a machine almost ALWAYS operates one more carefully than a hired hand who does not own the machine.

For the long term it would be a good plan to keep one of your best machines at upgrade time instead of trading it in and use it as a backup. If you are stretching your machines for maximum life, the odds of needing a backup will increase. By having a backup machine you can run your machines much longer without the fear of an unacceptable amount of downtime.

Best of luck,
  4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

1000 hours is nothing on most equpment lines such as Scag. We have had only one $400 wheel motor go and we are way beyond 1000 hours. At about 2000 hours we put a new engine on at $500. And I don't know why I would put $1000 in a unit unless something was wore out? You should be able to tell if spindles are okay and if you check them weekly you catch problems before it causes worse problems. And I would run the clutch until it fails. And you should be able to tell if front wheel bearing are okay.