1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How Long Will Seed Last?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by snmhanson, Dec 20, 2004.

1. snmhanson

snmhanson LawnSite Member

I bought some fescue grass seed last September with good intentions of planting it over our septic field. One thing led to another and I didn't have time to get the ground ready for it so it is still sitting out in the shed. My two questions are:

1) Will the grass seed still be ok next spring? Does where I store it make any difference (in terms of temperature, humidity, etc...)?

2) Is it too late to plant it now? I live in Washington and we are getting into the rainy season with colder nights (often below freezing) as well as occassionally cold days.

Thanks for any help on this.

2. lucky4511

lucky4511 LawnSite Member

i bought some executurf brand tough turf seed this fall from a local feed and seed and the guy told me it would be good for about 9 months. as for storing i would think cool and dry. i have mine in a metal trash can in the garage to keep out the mice!
  3. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

The seed will last for longer then 9 months. I can't tell you for sure if your seed will germinate in the spring. But keep it in a cool dry place. Before you go to use it, take a handful of seed and place it between two wet paper towels and place in a dark, warm place. keep wet for a week and then count how many seeds germinate and how many didn't. This will allow you to calculate the percentage of seed that germinated. When you apply the seed adjust the amount by the percentage that germinated. If you 20% didn't germinate then apply it 20% heavier.

I hope this made since?