How long will sod last on the pallet

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by l1011100, May 11, 2005.

1. l1011100

l1011100 LawnSite Member

I picked up 2 pallets of sod last week for and install that was supposed to happen last weekend but did'nt. I plan on putting it down tomorrow but it isn't looking good, its getting a little yellow. the past couple of days I have been putting a sprinkler on top of the pallets to keep it a little moist. Do you think its a total loss or will it green up after laying it down and giving it some TLC. Any advice would help!
  2. kcowell

kcowell LawnSite Member

It should be okay if you indeed have been keeping it watered.
  3. theturfsurfer

theturfsurfer LawnSite Member
    from mtka,MN

From my experience the sod is a loss. Depending on how warm the temps have been since it was cut I would fell the sod will be very warm in the center of the pallet. I have always unrolled any sod if i was unable to install it within in a day of it being cut. You could try installing it but I would be very surprised if the sod lasted.
  4. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

If its for your can try it....For a customer..get new sod or give the bad sod to the customer with the understanding that you will replace it at normal price (free labor) if it dies.

I wouldn't chance it.....
  5. l1011100

l1011100 LawnSite Member

I was afraid I would get bad news. The sod is for a property company that is just finishing up a restoration on this house. I have been waiting since early fall to install the landscaping. They have run into tons of problems with the city of Atlanta who doesn't have a clue about anything. (I could go on all night about how bad they are, but I wont.) I was thinking about putting it down tomorrow (1 1/2 pallets) and giving it a week or so while I go on a little vacation and see how it does. If its worse when I get back I will replace it , I figure it wont be too bad to pull it up. What do you guys think?
  6. treedoc1

treedoc1 LawnSite Senior Member

your double labor cost is way more expensive than the new sod cost.
    Your customers perception of your quality will suffer if you put down crap and have to come back. Do you really think your customer will baby that turf while you are gone?
  7. l1011100

l1011100 LawnSite Member

Good point. I just hate to see it go to waste. I guess my profit will go down by $200.
  8. JRAZ

JRAZ LawnSite Member
    from NW

Once a while back, I scheduled my old man for a sod install. Well, we got behind schedule with some paying cst's (who come first), needless to say the sod sat out on pallets for 3 days. It was starting to yellow and look like crap but I gave it a shot and put it in for him. To this day, under my care he has an enviable lawn. I wouldn't do this for a client though! Temp, Humidity play a role in how long it will last on pallets.
  9. Popper357

Popper357 LawnSite Member

I just used two day old sod that was kept wet, looked good when layed down and watered. Hoping it works well and I believe it will.
  10. l1011100

l1011100 LawnSite Member

Well, I bit the bullet and got two more pallets of fresh sod on order for tomorrow morning that I WILL put down tomorrow. Lesson Learned!!! :dizzy:
    Thanks for the advice, I am giving the old sod to a friend who wanted to try and see if it will survive. :waving: