1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

how long will they last

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by voglernut, Dec 17, 2002.

1. voglernut

voglernut LawnSite Member

i know everyone has had different experiences with different brands, but what's your opinions on how many hours a well kept ztr will produce.
  2. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Several thousand.
  3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I agree with 65hoss...but there are some considerations that need to be taken in account too...job conditions, preventive maintenance, and the person operating the machine.

For the most part, "employers/owners" take better care of equiment than do "employees/operators".
  4. Green King

Green King LawnSite Senior Member

I have been looking for some new machines and I have been learning some things about why some will last longer than others. As mentioned maintenance is a key factor, but I have also learned that the simple no thrills design seems to be a better way to go. At first I thought I wanted all the fancy electric clutches and buzzards and stuff, but when it was explained to me that a machine that does not have all of this stuff on it just effecienct design there is less things to go wrong with it. I do agree that I do want the coolers and donaldson filters and stuff that will increase engine and hydro life but some of the other things that some companies do sounds good but can be expensive when it breaks.

I have a schweiss mower with 2300hrs on it.
  5. grassdaddy

grassdaddy LawnSite Senior Member

our grasshopper dealer, has been selling hops for 15yrs.he also sells exmarks and wright.he told me in 15yrs he rebuilt many engines but NEVER a kubota gas or diesel,only in class.so he could'nt tell me how many hours to expect .:blob4:
  6. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

I have 5000 hrs on a 322 JD Tractor - Yanmar 3 cylinder diesel and it purrs like a kitten - should go at least 10,000.
  7. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

And who was it that explained it all to you? The guy selling the one that did not have any of that stuff on it? Hmmmm sounds like a sales pitch. Think about this, if (lets say) the electric clutches were such a problem, why are so many MFG's using them and were is the threads on here telling us of all the clutches going out? Plus if you are referring to DC, you had better look at their web site. They are putting a new machine out with an electric clutch. So if its bad why are they using one?

Just wondering!
  8. Tony Harrell

Tony Harrell LawnSite Senior Member

Actually, I've had a certified master mechanic tell me that they are troublesome and unneccesary. How did we ever get by without them? Why does a 15 hp engine need an electric clutch?
  9. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

My 15HP 36" TTHP does not have one!
  10. Detailed LawnService

Detailed LawnService Member
    from Midwest

3000-5000 if taken care of oil,filters,grease.....