How long will this stuff last?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DFW Area Landscaper, Jan 30, 2006.

1. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I have a line trimmer & blade edger I bought in January of 2003. They have been used commercially the whole time and they are still running strong.

Same is true for the backpacks. Bought two of them in 2003 and they are still running strong.

Same for the Honda mower HR216C.

The line trimmer, edger & mower have all been relegated to spares this year but I think they could still be used every day with no problems. The backpacks are being assigned to a crew for every day use.

We are implenting a new policy with regards to the Honda engines this year. Since they kick up the most dust, we have purchased 5 outer foam air filters for each mower this year. The crews will be responsible for installing a clean foam outer filter on each paper element once per day. I think this will do a very good job of keeping dust out of the cylinders.

So my question is, how long does this stuff last? Is dust the number one killer of these machines?

Later,
    DFW Area Landscaper

2. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

my stuff lasts an average of 5 yrs . the sthil stuff less. (except the backpacks)many of my hand blowers are going on 10yrs and hedge clippers too (since these dont get as much use.) the line trimmers last the least amount of time. dont trust others to change filters etc.

3. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

DFW,

I retired a redmax trimmer in '05 that was purchased in '96... the last 2 years it was primarily back-up. Never put any real $ in it, recoil rope, plugs & boots, air pre-cleaner element. As far as your guys replacing element daily... not necessary... just wash w/ detergent & H2o at end of day, squeeze dry in paper towel, apply small amount of oil & re-use until it becomes beat.