how long with Quick 36?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by 1999frontier, Oct 27, 2006.

1. 1999frontier

1999frontier LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

I was hoping to get a ztr for next year, but I don't think I can justify spending that kind of money. I am now considering buying a Quick 36 Super Duty and I am wondering how long it will take me to mow an acre thats pretty much wide open. There are few obstacles and two trees in the whole yard. Anything commercial grade is going to be better than what I have now. I have a 42" Craftsman rider right now. It takes me about 45 minutes probably to cut as of now. How long do you think it would take me with the super duty? The quality of cut is probaby going to be better also.

2. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

too long......especially walking. I have a 52" Stander and it takes me 30 minutes to do my 1+ acre lawn.......

D

3. BUCKEYE MOWING

BUCKEYE MOWING LawnSite Bronze Member

You need to get a step saver for the quick......just comes down to a money and time question...the quick will save you money and some time but then again you may want to spend some more and get a bigger machine and finish even quicker...

4. 1999frontier

from NC

Yeah I was definately going to get the step saver. I'm still trying to figure out what size deck I need. I only have one gated lawn that I mow and I use a 21" Maybe I should try to get a 48" walkbehind.

5. BUCKEYE MOWING

Get the 44 quick in the spring.....I am telling you ..IMO you cannot beat the quality and price of products from BOP

6. 1999frontier

from NC

I think I read somewhere on here that it was going to sell for about $3000 is this correct? I have heard nothing but good things about BOP.

7. BUCKEYE MOWING

That's the rumor.....probably save yourself $2000+ over the cost of an eXmark 48

8. Prestige-Lawncare

Prestige-Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

That may be true ... and while my post is maybe a little off-topic here, I still like to add my .02ยข worth.

Tough the BOP products may be good pieces of equipment, and the price is very enticing, one major factor (for me anyway) is the lack of a local dealer, and what a good dealer has to offer.

If I had the BOP products, and it goes down (other then a belt or pulley or something) ... that piece of equipment is down and out for 2 - 2 days. On top of that ... you have to take the time to figure out what is wrong with it, order the parts from BOP, and then spend your time fixing it when the parts come.

On the other hand, I could take my eXmark to the dealer, pick up a demo, and probably have my own mower back in a couple of days. In the meantime, I am doing what I do best ... taking care of my customers providing the service they pay me for. Remember ... all we have to sell is our time and quality service, and if we're running down parts and working on mowers ... we're not making any money OR taking care of our customers.

Now ... with that said ... if you are a homeowner, or just have a very small part time business ... then maybe you can afford the delays. To me, my dealers service and support is priceless.

:weightlifter:

9. BUCKEYE MOWING

True to a degree..I would challenge you to see just how good BOP's service really is..They will work with you or your local shop to fix any and all problems as quickly as possible...your problem is their problem and they will do whatever is need to fix a problem...IMO..but you could call gary and discuss it to

10. CNY Property Management

CNY Property Management LawnSite Member

I am just getting back into the business after a 10-year hiatus and I feel your pain. While there is a lot of great equipment out there, it comes at a a hefty price and it is hard to determine which direction to go. I am attracted to the Quick 36 and it seems like a great machine at a great price. However, I have to agree with Prestige that the maintenance issue is huge. Unless you have back-up equipment or other means to complete your work while this machine is down you could find yourself in a real bind and trust me.....your customers won't want excuses.

Let's take a scenario where the machine breaks down and you think you know what the problem is. You order the part on a Friday and it shows up Monday (meaning you are down all weekend). You put the part on and it does not solve the problem. You call Better and they ship you another part and maybe it is Wednesday before you get the part and are back in business. Now you have missed a week of revenue and have some upset customers. In my opinion, I would spend a little more for a mower from a dealer with great service and a loaner plan. I have to think it would pay for itself.