how long would you wait to ask???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ofishil, Sep 22, 2004.

1. ofishil

ofishil LawnSite Member
    from TX

A couple of my neighbors down the street have this guy that is solo and cuts their grass. Well i have been eyeing their grass for around 4 days now and its getting pretty tall and ragged. He probably hasnt been there for 2-3 weeks. I havent seen the guy around. How long would you wait before you offer your services? I dont want to go and try to steal someones work from them. Its two nice paying yards next door to each other. I dont know the neighbors because i live on the first house on a dead end. I probably wave to them though as they drive by.

2. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

i would ask them, i wouldnt worry about stealing someones work, because lets face it, do you really think you competitor will care if he steals your lawn? i highly doubt it, he will take first snatch. get the customers, dont worry about taking someone elses work, because about 98% of the time the guy wouldnt worry about taking your work!

3. thor

thor LawnSite Member

F***** N theives. if you did that to one of my custumers I would kick your a*s. Your comments reflect your age and experience.

4. Turf Medic

Turf Medic LawnSite Bronze Member

You could try and I would have you arrested, thrown in jail, and then I would go after the rest of your accounts. Business is business, threatening people belittles you, let your work ethic, and ablilities defend your accounts.

5. jpp

jpp LawnSite Silver Member

You know what? If somebody is a LCO and has not shown up for 2-3 weeks then what is he doing? Obviously not taking care of his business. So If you want to kick somebody butt for taking a customer you have not taken care of for 2-3 weeks then you should seriously think about getting out of the business. You don't let a paying customer go that long unless you are in a hospital bed on a ventilator. At even that you have friends help you out.

I would say go give them a price and don't worry about. Obviously the other LCO is not worried about his clients.

JP

6. thor

thor LawnSite Member

maybe they are bi weekly accounts or their service has been suspended due to late payment

7. jpp

jpp LawnSite Silver Member

Even being bi/weekly it sounds like he is well over do. If the account has been suspended due to late payments that is a chance that is taken while trying to grow your business. Live and learn it happens to all of us. You pick up a new account and you take a chance on them. Just like when you apply for a credit card the company is taking a chance on you that you will pay your bill.

JP

8. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

I would leave a business card and leave it at that. Some say thief, some say aggressive business person

9. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

Maybe you could crack him over the noggin with your Ryobi trimmer. You for one, dont need to be criticising someone else's lack of experience.

10. chefdrp

chefdrp LawnSite Bronze Member

you wouldnt be stealing. Find out why he hasnt been there. Ask the home owner. Sounds like the lawn is fair game. 2 weeks and counting is long enough.The ony competition someone has is his or herself.