1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

how long you wait for payment

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rmartin, May 18, 2004.

1. rmartin

rmartin LawnSite Member
    from mass

I've got this one customer that has always had issues on paying in a reasonable amount of time. How long do you wait before you do something? It's only $40 but its my earned money.
  2. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

my biggest concern would not be the $40, but accumilating debt. this is why we have prepay as one option, or if it's only mowing, another option is to pay by the end of the month. it works like this : we cut the 7th, the 14th. on the 15th we send out bill for 7th, 14th, 21st, 28th.gotta have the check by 30th. if not recieved by 30th, it's no dough, no mow. expect a phone call. make your policy, stick to it. nothing personal, just business
  3. sgtgm5

sgtgm5 LawnSite Member

Hi all

You couldnt have said it better. I tried the prepay system this year and have'nt had any complaints. They actully like this better. No hassles. Check sent in the mail and its done. I would think if someone was complaining then I probably would'nt want them as a customer. I offer a proffessional service and expect payment as outlined in our contracts. Besides one account that i have and "yes" its a friend, No probs so far.
  4. venecular

venecular LawnSite Member
    from Atlanta

What do you do if you do a big job for a customer and they owe you a lot of money - say around in the $800 range. The customer ask you if you want the money now but they act like they don't have it so you say, "If you are having problems I will give you a week to come up with it" and they agree. They write you a check and if BOUNCES. After going over there and taking time out of your day they still act like they don't have it. Do you wait patiently for another week or do you tell the customer that you will not perform any more services until the amount due is paid????
  5. rmartin

rmartin LawnSite Member
    from mass

I have offered these payment options to these people but they rather pay weekley. I prefer the prepayment, or even the pay monthly. When I do big jobs I require a 50% payment and the rest at the time of completion. This is the only person I ever have issues with. I really dont care for the $40 but I go through this every year with these people...They insist on paying weekley. I am leaving a letter today at their house stating that they must prepay for the month or find someone else.
  6. venecular

from Atlanta

I went yesterday to that same customer and told them in a polite way that I will cut their grass when I get paid up to date and they made it an issue of trust. So be careful/tactful on how you do that. That is if you want the job...
  7. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

An issue of trust? BS! They bounced a check! I'd be over there on Sunday, when they have company, asking for cash.
  8. venecular

from Atlanta

I went over yesterday and surprisingly, they were very rude stating I did not trust them. It is funny to me how if the customer makes a mistake like bouncing a check it is alright but if I the contractor wants to get paid they forget about the bounced check and make it out like they are right. Trust, there is no trust in business, business is business... I guess I try to be too nice and learing fast that there is a very fine line...
  9. BCSteel

BCSteel LawnSite Senior Member

I do only commercial maintenance now so I am dealing with strata companies mostly. If I have a problem I go to the strata managers and complain to them. Never had a problem with not getting paid though. One time I had a place that was 5 months behind. Then in the spring they call me after I havnt done any work for 3 months and ask if I will be back. I say sure, but you owe me for the 5 months, including the 3 that I didnt work, plus the next month before I even pull out a rake. They said sure and gave me half a years pay right there. Go figure.