1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

How long?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 04TurfT, Sep 29, 2006.

1. 04TurfT

04TurfT LawnSite Senior Member

I've searched and can't find the rite post, but how long after aeration, before I can mow it? And one more thing are you supposed to cut real short before aeration or leave it kinda long???
  2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Real short right before, and 2 weeks after.
  3. Josh.S

Josh.S LawnSite Bronze Member

mow right before aeration? and do i want to cut it short or tall?
  4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I don't think mowing has anything to do with aeration. I mow at the same height and then mow when it needs it. Aeration simply loosens compacted soil and allows nutrients, water and air to more easily enter the soil. Mowing has no effect on aeration as far as I know or have ever read.
  5. jeffex

jeffex LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with RM ! maintain your mowing plan and do NOT cut low. If you or the customer seeds the lawn you should be careful of new grass by using x-tra care with lazers and walk behinds not to tear new grass. I have used 21" mowers on some bare areas I seeded but I built that into the price of the aeration and seed job. The customer that pays for my service expects me to give them a nice lawn and use techniques and practices that effect that . I don't think you can just charge them to aerate and seed and just say the hell with them " I got my money for what I did" . In the fall new customers want you to cut lower too. You have to educate them on proper mowing practices and explain that mowing lower is just what people used to do who hated to cut their lawns and didn't care if the turf was healthy. At least thats is true for tall fescue lawns here in the east.
  6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

The tires of the Wb / Z and also the weight of the operator (such as walking a 21") accelerate / promote soil compaction, which is what aeration relieves in the first place.

Furthermore, when seeding, 2 weeks should be allowed for the new seed to have a chance to germinate.

So: Real short right before, and 2 weeks after.

Which brings me to my next idea: Cut + Aerate (one deal), great for large lots!
    Take the Z, hook up a tow-behind, set the cut to 2.5" and charge double the price of the grass cut and voila!
    LOL then hook a drop-seeder to the tow-behind and you're really cooking.