how long?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by CLARK LAWN, Jul 11, 2007.

1. CLARK LAWN

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

i had an empoyee that called up and quit about 2 weeks ago. I told him to retrun his uniforms and pick up his last check on pay day (last friday) as of today i still havn't heard from or seen him if he doesn't return uniforms how long can i hold his check? he did sign an agreement to return uniforms before getting his last check when he was hired.

2. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I dont know that you are "holding" it. its there for the taking. I had a guy never come for his last check. Its been about 7 years. I dont have it anymore but If he showed up I would give him something, he was a good kid.

3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I would hold his check till whenever

4. zman9119

zman9119 LawnSite Senior Member

At least in Illinois...

Can my employer hold my paycheck until I return my uniform(s), tools, pager, etc.?
    No, an employer cannot withhold or deduct from wages pending the return of uniforms, tools, pagers, or any other employer owned equipment. 56 Ill. Adm. Code 300.830.

-----------
    Its a good way to get your Department of Labor on you really quick if you former employee whats to.

5. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

i think he just bought the uniforms. ive had a lot of employees buy my tshirts. i almost make more off selling tshirts to ex employees than on mowing.

6. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

I would check with your state's employment office for additional details.
    Here in Texas I can garnish wages for a variety of issues although I do know in different states this is frowned upon.
    A signed agreement goes a long way to protecting you so that was a good idea.